Hybrid View

Default Does wifi affect bees?

Does anyone know of any studies about wifi and bees? I've been looking at options to put a camera in an observation hive and one of the simplest options would just be to use an old Android phone. Since that requires using wifi pretty close to the hive (~1meter/3feet) I was wondering if it's a problem.

Default Re: Does wifi affect bees?

I have not run across any studies that show bees are affected by low levels of electromagnetic radiation. The majority of the studies I have read focused on cell phones witch emit far greater amounts of radio radiation than WiFi and those studies showed no verifiable ill affects to the bees. Your WiFi camera should be just fine well I should say your bees will be just fine as they might nibble or propolize your phone pretty badly.

Well said Jetjockey.

when a cell phone is transmitting continuously on high power, it can subtly warm biological tissue -- but that's the worst that's been shown to date and that's much higher power than WiFi.

Post your pictures or videos when you've got them!

Quote Originally Posted by Deamiter View Post
    Well said Jetjockey.

when a cell phone is transmitting continuously on high power, it can subtly warm biological tissue -- but that's the worst that's been shown to date and that's much higher power than WiFi.
    That's all I knew about in humans too. I was wondering if there was any specific info on bees.

Post your pictures or videos when you've got them!
    The idea is for this to be an experimental hive full with logging of temperature/humidity/weight. So once I have that setup it should be online with all that and the images.

!
    Ok, this goes to my profession (in beekeeping I am amateur). Cell phone radiation at the typical power and frequency at inches of range can do more than just warm the tissue. It can catalyze certain chemical reactions. There are quite a number of published studies (in boring scientific journals, nothing at popular level) in past couple of years focusing on human brain chemistry and such radiation. Depending on study, there are 12 to 16 documented chemical chain reactions that start with said radiation and end in equivalent of what ionizing radiation can do directly. So, serious damage is possible in that particular yet important case (so far no indications of any danger of keeping the phone in the pocket and using Bluetooth earpiece - this is specific to the brain chemistry).
    Back to the bees and WiFi... As it is true that WiFi is by design limited to even less power I'd not be afraid of physical (chemical) damage to the bees even with the source on the hive.

My mildly curious (i.e. unprofessional) sense is that while it's fascinating that scientists have documented chemical reactions triggered by cell phone radiation, it's not something to be overly concerned about because we don't see statistically significant increases in any brain diseases in populations (like construction foremen and salesmen) who spend a lot more time on the phone. It's still probably a really great idea to keep the phone away from the head when transmitting at high power just on general principle! I'd be interested in some links to boring journals if you have some on hand.

pedrocr, I'd like to talk more about the camera, but my kids are demanding attention. I'll be back later.

Do they make computers that small?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjockey View Post
    I have not run across any studies that show bees are affected by low levels of electromagnetic radiation. The majority of the studies I have read focused on cell phones witch emit far greater amounts of radio radiation than WiFi and those studies showed no verifiable ill affects to the bees. Your WiFi camera should be just fine well I should say your bees will be just fine as they might nibble or propolize your phone pretty badly.
    Thanks for that. They won't be able to propolize the phone though as it will be outside the hive It's an observation hive I'm planning so I'll be shooting through the glass with only red light that hopefully the bees won't be able to see and thus won't propolize the glass. Here's the thread where I discuss my plans (that nobody replied to I'm afraid):

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...servation-hive

And here's a link to the 3D sketch of what I'll be building (Google Sketchup is awesome):

http://i.imgur.com/L5H2W.png

Thanks again