Default Finding growers for pollination contracts

I'm looking for advice on finding growers in North Carolina for pollination services and prices to charge. How many hives should I have at full strength (10 frames) before I approach a grower to offer services? How can I find growers in my area? Also, where can I find out when the various crops are ready for pollination, so I can get an idea of a schedule.

From what I've read, it looks like for most crops in my area, I need about 2 hives per acre on average. I'm thinking that with 10 hives, I should only approach small growers with about 5-10 acres of crop, but I don;t know how to find them.
    Last edited by Paladin; 10-16-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Default Re: Finding growers for pollination contracts

Here's a place to start:
    http://www.pickyourown.org/NCpiedmont.htm
    This only covers farms that offer U-pick, but that may get you most in the size you are seeking.

Also you can contact the local County Extension Agent:
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/local-county-center/
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”

Another possibility is throwing in with a larger pollinator. A coupla fairly large pollinators come from up your way each spring to do blue berries.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

I had a guy at the gym approach me about what it takes to keep bees. His primary reason was that his church friend wanted / needed more pollination services for his U-pick blueberry operation. He had great success with paying but said the cost was outrageous so only did it one year.
    Short story long, I was thinking of just dropping off a few hives on his couple of acres and using them as him new out yard. I would hate to undercut a real beek just to free up space in my yard. He may even kick in money for gas?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)