Default Bee inferno in Oklahoma

Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Default Re: Bee inferno in Oklahoma

That's such a sad, awful story. Imagine that, bees having the nerve to get aggressive the evening after they've been in a wreck and their hives are in disarray. I can't believe anyone would start a fire like that.

I've seen numerous stories where semis wreck with bees. How can this many accidents be happening?
    Beekeeping 3 Years - 5 Italian Hives - 3 Carniolans - 10 Nucs - Treatment OAV Only

A friend mentioned this to me and my first thoughts were whether those were Africanized bees. Then I read the article and realized what had happened. @e-spice is right, it's an awful story. I don't think they should have burned the bees at all.

I wonder if there is any chance the beekeeper can sue the city for destroying his property?

I read the story and was also appalled that they would burn the bees. One alternative I've seen is to apply soap foam or firefighting foam to them. That left me wondering which is worse.

Bees dumped en masse like that at this time of the year are probably doomed. If you could get them back into hives, with stores, with their own queen, they will probably recover. Queenless? Doomed of course.

Could they swarm? They are unprepared for it. The queens are probably too fat to fly unless the hive has worked up to it for several weeks. The workers have not had a chance to gorge on honey. And at this late date, how much chance does even a well-prepared swarm have in Oklahoma this time of the year?

With enough woodenware on hand and some time, determined beekeepers could no doubt salvage a few more. But how long can you convince authorities to close down an Interstate highway for insects?

Quote Originally Posted by GmB View Post
    A friend mentioned this to me and my first thoughts were whether those were Africanized bees. Then I read the article and realized what had happened. @e-spice is right, it's an awful story. I don't think they should have burned the bees at all.

I wonder if there is any chance the beekeeper can sue the city for destroying his property?
    If they were africanized, some bee inspector was negligent for allowing them to be transported across state lines. Doubtful. These were hive bees going about their business when rudely dumped into a strange place. This is not like a honey-gorged swarm, this is more like a hive ripped apart by a bear. Do this to enough millions of bees and I would expect some defensive behavior.

I see no chance for such a suit. More likely, the beekeeper or truck owner might expect a large bill, or an expensive traffic citation.

It's a sad thing to see, for those of us who have some little knowledge of bees and beekeeping. I'm sure there are plenty of motorists who are less concerned with the plight of the bees than with getting to their destinations.

I am a little disconcerted that they used gasoline as an accelerant. That is far more dangerous than a few million angry honey bees!

On the bright side, somebody is gonna need a lotta nucs, come next spring! Maybe Acebird can supply some frames of honey?

(Hey, it could've been puppies!)

In response to e-spice, When a semi truck full of toilet paper, canned goods or other cargo wrecks it rarely makes the national news. Millions of honeybees spread across a major highway almost always makes the national news.

Too bad, so sad. Hate to see this happening. I don't know the cause of this accident, hope no one was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    I am a little disconcerted that they used gasoline as an accelerant. That is far more dangerous than a few million angry honey bees!

(Hey, it could've been puppies!)
    for the great majority of motorists on I-35, that statement is pretty subjective.

It looked to me like the bees were off the highway and not obstructing traffic. They could've had work crews remove the truck & trailer and left the bees settle overnight so beeks might have had a chance to recover some. Even if some hives were on the roadway, they could've been pushed out of the way of traffic for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    It looked to me like the bees were off the highway and not obstructing traffic. They could've had work crews remove the truck & trailer and left the bees settle overnight so beeks might have had a chance to recover some. Even if some hives were on the roadway, they could've been pushed out of the way of traffic for the night.
    I agree and would have loved to be there recovering some of the bees. That would be pretty exciting.

Why not rent another vehicle or two and throw everything into it and put a net over it and drive away? Worst case scenario you lose all the bees but at least you get to keep the equipment.

~Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MJuric View Post
    Why not rent another vehicle or two and throw everything into it and put a net over it and drive away? Worst case scenario you lose all the bees but at least you get to keep the equipment.

~Matt
    It does seem like an over-reaction by authorities.

I wonder if these accidents are happening because bees get loose in the cab and either sting or spook the driver.

I recently talked to a lady who said she transported bees on their truck and she's not a beekeeper.

A rookie could freak.

www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

I wonder if these accidents are happening because bees get loose in the cab and either sting or spook the driver.

I recently talked to a lady who said she transported bees on their truck and she's not a beekeeper.

A rookie could freak.

This is a semi, not a Prius. One would think they would cover such things, "Scares in the cabin" etc in driving school, maybe even do a couple simulations or something.

~Matt

It is also good to note that hives are loaded onto the Semi's at night. Usually the driver is taking an active part in securing the bees onto the trailer. Being up all night and then traveling down the interstate cannot be good.

I'm not saying this is the cause for any of the bee spills, there are always miles to be made and time is always short. These drivers are more like heroes in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell J Deptuch View Post
    These drivers are more like heroes in my book.
    Beekeeping 3 Years - 5 Italian Hives - 3 Carniolans - 10 Nucs - Treatment OAV Only