Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

how long after oxalic dribblel method before mite count drops?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  virgiea68 
#1 ·
It has been three days and I'm still counting the same number of mites using the sugar roll test. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Oxalic dribble should be done when the colony is close to being broodless, I would guess probably early to mid winter in your area. Right now there may be more mites entering the general population with emerging bees.

Double check your solution and make sure you mixed it with correct weights and measures.

#5 ·
I mix 24 ozs. oxalic 15 to 20 lbs. sugar and warm water to make 5 gallons. It is a bit lighter solution than most use but I have found it to be quite effective. We split doubles and like to flip the top box over and spray down into the cluster between the bottom bars and then as needed depending on the cluster size between the top bars of the lower box. Noticeable results should be observed within 48 hours.

#7 ·
Re: how long after oxalic dribble method before mite count drops?

I plan on hitting our bees with OA this winter as it appears that the treatment which has been used that past few years has stopped working. One question I have but which I've never seen addressed, is what happens if the queen gets splashed with oxalic? I have read that OA can shorten the lifespan of the bees which it contacts and I assume this also applies to the queen. Have any of you experienced any queen problems after an oxalic dribble? In addition, what is the purpose of adding sugar to the mixture- my understanding is that the bees do not consume the OA to a great extent. Thanks.
Aaron

#9 ·

I plan on hitting our bees with OA this winter as it appears that the treatment which has been used that past few years has stopped working. One question I have but which I've never seen addressed, is what happens if the queen gets splashed with oxalic? I have read that OA can shorten the lifespan of the bees which it contacts and I assume this also applies to the queen. Have any of you experienced any queen problems after an oxalic dribble? In addition, what is the purpose of adding sugar to the mixture- my understanding is that the bees do not consume the OA to a great extent. Thanks.
Aaron
I really doubt that would be an issue Aaron as I never see any dead bees around the entrance after application and we have never noticed a high incidence of queens lost over the winter following application. As far as life span, I can only say that our bees emerge from the winter quite strong, Perhaps they might be a bit stronger without an application perhaps not as then you are dealing with a higher mite load which I know for a fact isn't good. Never heard of trickling it in plain water, I think Mike's assessment is probably correct.

#8 ·

Based on my experience using dribble I've had very few problems with queen loss.

I think the purpose of using a sugar solution to deliver the OA solution would be that the syrup is sticky and will coat and adhere well to the bees. Trying to use a water solution you may find that most of it will be repelled and just roll off the bees, kind of like water off a ducks back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.