Default Moving hives in the yard

I'd like to move my one hive about 30 feet from where it is now. Can I wait until the snow flies and just move it without worrying about whether my girls will be lost when they fly next? Won't they all be newborns when spring comes?

I want to move it where it will get more winter sun and probably less breeze closer to my house. I may want to move it back in the spring where it won't get baked.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: Moving hives in the yard

If you wait until its too cold to fly you can move it the whole 30 ft. Its cool enough now you could screen the entrance closed, move the hive and leave the screen on for 3 days. Or what I would do is, stuff the entrance full of grass and move the hive. When they get all the grass pulled out they will look around to see where they are and be fine. Also, since you only have one hive, even if some try to return to the old spot they will find no hive and begin looking for one, your moved hive will be the closest so they should find it ok anyhow.

Cold makes it both simpler and more risky. Assuming they have been confined for at least 72 hours, and you move them when they are not flying they usually reorient when they fly again. But if they don't fly back to the new location and it's a marginal day with a cold night a lot of bees could die. I prefer to move them on a warm day with a warm night so they have a better chance if they get confused.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Great insight, guys, thank you!

Another question, won't the "summer bees" all die soon anyway and make way for the "winter bees" which don't know where the hell they are anyway?

Of course, trying to figure out how to move that heavy box is another issue!

Also, will it get baked in next summer forcing me to move it back? How hot is too hot?

Thanks again!