Default What are they up to?

Today is the first warm day since the bees shutdown and even though its been raining all day, there is a cloud of bees flying outside the hive, but it doesn't look like many are going to far. So many are flying that the reduced entrance is jammed with all of the coming and going. Would they be doing orientation flights after being clustered for a while or just flying to eliminate outside the hive?
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Default Re: What are they up to?

I would say both.

I was wondering the same thing. After a couple of days of cold, inclement weather I had today what looked like a four-hour orientation flight going on, with a mass of bees at the entrance and on the front of the hive, and hordes of them buzzing around. There were so many you couldn't get near the hive, or you'd have them bouncing off you. I didn't see any signs of robbing, but I put the screen back on, just in case.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Mine did that back in the summer after a rain shower. I just assumed they were collecting water off of the trees in the yard.

Half of the hive just seemed to bail out and work its way up into the trees. The air was full of bees. They did that for about 30 minutes and then they all came back home. I was afraid I was witnessing a swarm.