Thread: Wax Moth?????

Hybrid View

Default Wax Moth?????

I have a weak hive. During the inspection I came across this frame. Looks like wax moth but not sure. If it is can I save the frame by freezing it since it is not a brood frame?

PA060205.jpg

Default Re: Wax Moth?????

Yes it is wax moths, and it still can be saved.Freeze it let thaw place it back in the hive the bees will clean it .Be careful not to bang the frame because the worns are quite small and could fall back into the hive

Funny you should post that. A couple of hours ago I was just checking the removable bottom board, which for no particular reason I put in a couple of days ago. Saw three wax moth larvae crawling on it. Ucky!!

This hive looked really strong when I peeked into it briefly a week ago. I was about to wrap it for winter but am wondering if I should do a complete check...we have a semi nice day coming on Tuesday.

Advice appreciated,
    Janet

Quote Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
    Funny you should post that. A couple of hours ago I was just checking the removable bottom board, which for no particular reason I put in a couple of days ago. Saw three wax moth larvae crawling on it. Ucky!!

This hive looked really strong when I peeked into it briefly a week ago. I was about to wrap it for winter but am wondering if I should do a complete check...we have a semi nice day coming on Tuesday.

Advice appreciated,
    Janet
    Same thing happened to me last week. I waited until it was a little warmer and did a frame by frame inspection, but found nothing.

All hives will have a few wax moth larva in them it is the strong hives that are able to deal with them. Weak hives will die from them if left unchecked.

I would not feel so weird about it if it were not that I was just about to put this hive to bed for the winter. I have this nightmare vision of wax moths cavorting over the combs and my finding nothing but sticky webs in there come February!

Perhaps I will just do a quick pull of a few frames...don't want to chill the hive too badly. We are at about 13 Centrigrade (about 53 degrees) daytime for the next while.