Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: 101312 usurpation attempt

Two days ago, I looked out my window and saw a swarm in my back yard. After watching it for 15 minutes, the swarm settled on one of my hives that had been very small all smmer.
    Three years ago, I purchases a three pound box of bees plus queen - and the next day watched it swarm to a new home - only God knows where. The current swarm was larger than the swarm three years ago.

Several hours after this swarm took over the hive, I found a double handfull of bees clustered in the grass about 12 feet from their orginal home. I did not see a queen.

Now, two days later, I checked the hive and from the buzz, there are a lot of bees in that hive. I have checked my other 11 hives, but do not see any difference in number of bees bearding on the fronts. They must have come from some other place however the closest hives (2 hives) I know of are over a mile away.
    My bees a mostly Itillian and the new swarm looks the same.
    Charlie

12 hives zone 5

nice, they combined for winter on their own!

the weak hive may not have made it otherwise.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

update:

i never heard back from the state apiarist, (who has since retired), and haven't taken the time to call about it.

hive #3 survived the winters of 2012 and 2013 and ended up being my best producer this year yielding five medium supers of harvestable honey so far and likely a sixth if we get a good fall flow.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives