Hybrid View

Default 101312 usurpation attempt

photos to come
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: 101312 usurpation attempt

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    these are hives 1 - 3, from left to right.

3 was the intended target for usurpation, but they turned on 2, after i blocked 3's entrance.

notice the small beard on the lower left corner of 2

1 seemed to be oblivious to the whole thing.

the queen was found on the ground, in the area directly beneath the hives, and between 1 and 2.
    Last edited by squarepeg; 10-13-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: notice the beard

anybody care to venture a guess as to what strain of queen that is? my bees are sort of dark, but not that dark.

Your looking for guesses so I'll take a stab and say old time European black bee's.

hmmm. maybe, huh. my neighbor says he used to see these occaisionally many moons ago. he called them 'german black bees'. i need to call him. are these the same as amm?

black queen.jpgI'm grafting black Queens from a cut out
    Last edited by BudsBees; 09-08-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: pics

interesting bud, and welcome to the forum!

when did you get the cut out and how has it been doing?

you are just south of that confirmed ahb fatal attack in 2010. have there been any more confirmed ahb finds since then?

Two days ago, I looked out my window and saw a swarm in my back yard. After watching it for 15 minutes, the swarm settled on one of my hives that had been very small all smmer.
    Three years ago, I purchases a three pound box of bees plus queen - and the next day watched it swarm to a new home - only God knows where. The current swarm was larger than the swarm three years ago.

Several hours after this swarm took over the hive, I found a double handfull of bees clustered in the grass about 12 feet from their orginal home. I did not see a queen.

Now, two days later, I checked the hive and from the buzz, there are a lot of bees in that hive. I have checked my other 11 hives, but do not see any difference in number of bees bearding on the fronts. They must have come from some other place however the closest hives (2 hives) I know of are over a mile away.
    My bees a mostly Itillian and the new swarm looks the same.
    Charlie

12 hives zone 5

nice, they combined for winter on their own!

the weak hive may not have made it otherwise.

Looks to me to bee a German black queen. Very fiesty and good honey makers. Love that hive stand btw. Did you weld that up yourself?

Couldn't this also just been a virgin coming back from mating? This is very common since lots of hives will replace queens in the fall. What makes you think it was a usurpation attempt? I've never witnessed such an event. I'm not saying you're wrong, just seems pretty rare to me. Of course I'm outside AHB territory. Have you opened hive 3 to see if there were open queen cells? I hope you're right.

it was a no brainer something was bad wrong.

i could hear the commotion all the way across my yard. when i got to the hive, there were many hundreds of bees in the air, and all over the hive, and even bearding. not to mention all the fighting at the entrance and the 100 or so dead bees on the ground.

my first thought was, robbing! oh s...! and the thought of instant karma came to mind because of all the robbing i talked about in the other thread.

but i soon realized that it would have more likely been because of me.

what i mean is i moved this hive to the stand last weekend, from about 100' away.

it was in a nearby location, which just happened to be where it was caught, by flying into my swarm trap on 042612.

it was a small swarm, about a half a deep of bees, i gave it a frame of mostly capped brood and that was it.

without feeding, it was able to fill the deep and one and a half mediums. that top super is 100% drawn and 70% full. the bottom super was added with foundation only, to serve as slatted racks, but there is brood comb now drawn on it extending the brood nest part of the way down on the middle most frames.

my mistake, (or possible mistake, who knows?), is that instead of waiting until later in the season, i went ahead and moved them last week.

it was my first time to relocate a hive within my home yard without first taking the hive five miles away to my out yard.

i followed MB's (micheal bush) advice and used leafy cedar branch tips stapled over the entrance. it worked fine, and no bees were left at the old site.

but, i realized that i forced a 'colony decision' (per MB) on the bees, by making them reoriente.

i also realize that the usurpers could have still found and invaded the young colony at the original site, so, we'll never know.

anyway, i'm thinking robbing, and decide to close them up and move them, when out of the blue, my mentee says, 'hey, look at the pile of bees under the hives".

hmmm, i says, the only time i see them doing that is when there is a queen.

so, low and behold, there her majesty was. caught her, and maybe missed out on on letting some rare genetics into my yard but, but i figured i didn't really want them anyway if the traits included usurpation.

do i do right?

update:

still a little fighting today and some dead bees, but not as many. i guess those usurpers just had no where else to go.

i think it's like a newspaper combine without the newspaper.

i found the email i got from beltsville regarding my afb sample i sent earlier this year.

i sent a new email tonite, with a link to this thread, and asked for advice on how to get the bees tested.

Maybe you already wrote about this, but did you open this hive and look to see how things are inside? What did you see?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Couldn't this also just been a virgin coming back from mating? This is very common since lots of hives will replace queens in the fall. What makes you think it was a usurpation attempt? I've never witnessed such an event. I'm not saying you're wrong, just seems pretty rare to me. Of course I'm outside AHB territory. Have you opened hive 3 to see if there were open queen cells? I hope you're right.
    thought it was ursurpation because of all of the fighting, dead bees, bearding on the hive, and queen on the ground close by.

no queen cells found in hive.

so far, no ahb confirmed in alabama.

queen on ground could have been a virgin, not sure.

checked the cage today, and the new queen is still in it, dead.

so it looks like they have, or least think they have, a queen already.

hate to waste a good queen, and $20, but at least i have a little more confidence with this hive going into winter.

btw, the state apiarist has asked me to mail the sample of bees, they are going to check wing morphology on them for ahb.

the state apiarist came by today to pick up the samples.

he told me about some bees he caught in a swarm trap this summer, that was placed near huntsville international airport.

wing morphology on the swarm was 99% positive for ahb. they are now waiting for dna testing for 100% confirmation.

he said that they have caught other swarms in the state that were positive on wing morphology, but negative on dna testing.