Default Thymol treatment for Varroa

I have been treating hives for Varroa using my own formula made from crystals of Thymol 91% alcohol and high grade mineral oil. 8-12 grams of Thymol crystals dissolved into about 3 ounces of 91% alcohol and then after dissolving the formula I add about 6 ounces of high grade mineral oil. I cut cardboard strips about 8 inches long and 1 -2 inches wide and let these soad for a period of time in the solution. After soaking I place these in a ziploc bag and transport to the bee yard.
    My method of placing these in the hive varies, I have placed some of these down in the brood chamber between the frames and others I have placed on top of the brood chamber top bars. My success has been good, I seem to get good results from either application. I have been repeating these applications again in ten days.
    Does anyone have other formulas for mixing?
    Also I have soaked beer coasters and used on the top bars as well, they work just fine.

Default Re: Thymol treatment for Varroa

Have the bees pretty well disposed of those in 10 days, if not do the remaining strips still seem to have an effect on the bees 10 days later?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Broodhead, I would be careful with alcohol, this is very poison to bees. You might loos lots of bees the first two or three of days. You can use Thymovar or make your own, a mix of thymol and oil in a sponge. It takes longer to get the right amount of fumes to kill the mites than pure thymol and you pay for oil you don't need, but the treatment time is more than 10 days, and this is most important.

Using alcohol, you should let it sit open for some days till most alcohol is gone, but than a big amount of thymol is also gone with it. You can make your own "apiguard", mix the thymol cristals with vaseline and fill it in a lid from jars or spread it on top of the frames. Grind the thymol cristals with a coffee grinder to a powder, this gives a much better result.

Thymol itself is the active mite killer and any form will work. Check the result from your recipe and see how many mites are left. The result can go from a 50% up to over 95% mites kill, depends on the conzentration of fumes in a certain time in you hive.

Before I used pure thymol in a strip form, I had the best result with lids, filled with thymol powder and a fly screen (hold by a rubber band). The only downside was, the girls tried to close the screen with propolis and I need a spacer for the lid. The bees try it with the strips also, but the thymol is in a kind of fabric or felt and propolis can't hold the fumes back.

The alcohol is so dilute that it has no effect on the bees. The alcohol is used only to dissolve the crystals. The oil is absorbed into the alcohol and is soaked into the strips for a longer effect time. I also thought about using pure grain alcohol, we call it moonshine and the thymol will dissolve it the booze and it will not kill the bees. Hate to waste good booze, but I will give it a try.
    Now about that vaseline, that is a petroleum base and I would use something else that is food safe.
    Thanks for the suggestions, Broodhead

They are dry and do show some signs of wear. The bees sometimes try to comb them into the frame, but usually not. The good thing about this is that the cost of treatment is a fraction of what Apiguard is and the results have been just as good. Eighteen bucks a pound for the thymol crystals and a few bucks for the alcohol and oil. I really like this approach. Broodhead

I dissolve the crystals in heated oil no need to use alcohol.
    Im really not that serious

If you dissolve Thymol in heated oil it starts to evaporate immediately and a big part of Thymol disappears before it's in the hive.

Heating up Thymol is danger, be very careful you can be dead in no time. If you do it in your kitchen ..... your wife will kill you right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Axtmann View Post
    If you dissolve Thymol in heated oil it starts to evaporate immediately and a big part of Thymol disappears before it's in the hive.
    Seems like alcohol will evaporate quicker
    Im really not that serious

I only have 40 hives, so a tub of Apiguard seemed simpler.
    I went somewhat low dose this time as a test.
    $90 tub was less than half used after 2 treatments, so a rough estimate is $1 hive.
    I got sloppy, and used a turkey baster, ran a bead down a couple frame tops.
    They track it all over anyway.
    acrylic projects picture blog
    http://plasticsjournal.livejournal.com/

Hello I apologize for such an off topic question. Where can i purchase thymol crystals in the USA? I need laboratory grade crystals. thank you

I haven't bought any from them but, here's one place. Most health food stores sell them.
    http://www.medichest.com/thymolcrystalsnf100gram.html

Default Re: Thymol crystals. Where to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by natureway View Post
    Hello I apologize for such an off topic question. Where can i purchase thymol crystals in the USA? I need laboratory grade crystals. thank you
    I just found this.... $48.00 for 2.2 pounds of Thymol crystals at http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.co...cal-p-751.html