Thread: Skunks

Default Skunks

How high off the ground does a bottom board need to be to prevent skunk predation?

Default Re: Skunks

I built my stands 12 inches in height.

i use top entrances

I would say at least a foot and a bit higher would probably be better yet. Even at only a foot high, I would cut a large 3x3 piece of chicken wire, bend it slightly to give it an accordion like waviness and lay it on the ground directly in front of the hive, skunks don't like walking on the wire. This works very well for me at keeping them from messing with hives at night.

14" is what has been recommended for years, but who knows today with all the experts out their. Every time I turn around I discovered the things I have been doing for 40 years are wrong. Keeping an excess of dead bees of the ground near the hives seems to help too. As IMGI said the chicken wire trick is another time tested method as well as tack strips in front of the hive.

Hey hold the phone a few minutes please while I run out and measure a skunk. Ok back...better make it 14-1/2"
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Mine is 24" off the ground and I used aluminum beams left over from building my screened room.,very slippery. I have raccoons, possums and the occasional fox but never seen a skunk.

Gene

That's the best way to do it, the ones I've measured, nose to back legs have averaged 15 inches. All beekeeping is local

I was supprised how many skunks were working my bee yard. image.jpg
    They can do a lot damaged

Does the electric fence help with skunks?

I myself have tried using traps and Poison mixed with cat food but what works best is find where they dig a small hole to get there bellies into while they feed on your hive and sprinkle around in front of the Hive plain LYE it will burn there mouths as they pull the bees caught in there fur and bring the lye with the bees into there mouths not something they like Drano works the same since it is mostly lye. What also works is a 410 shot gun but that is only if you live out in country, best time to catch them is just before sunset they are eaily seen then and one can stand back at safe distance and remember they can travel in pairs or family group.

A carpet tack strip nailed to the bottom board at the entrance with the tacks pointing toward the entrance will keep ANY larger varmint out after one visit (you can imagine this if you've ever had your own run-in with a strip).

It has the advantage of being maintenance-free.

Carpet tack works good. The trick to having it up off the ground is skunks do not like getting stung in the belly.