Default What Are You Using for Bait In Wasp Traps

Can you please provide your recipe for bait that works really well?

We have had a very dry spring and early summer and wasp and hornet population is large already. Think it is at least three weeks advanced.

Have closed down the entrances on all colonies.

Have wasp traps out baited with blueberry juice and sugar syrup. They are working okay but not great.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Default Re: What Are You Using for Bait In Wasp Traps

Pure apple juice. Catches wasps but not bees.

I only really have issues with yellow jackets, and not much of those, so I can't say how it would work on wasps, but a banana peel, some apple cider vinegar and some sugar syrup works well early in the season. Some meat added works better late in the season.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Per recommendations I have seen here, I have been using turkey lunch meat. It works great.

The recipe MB posted above will also catch horse flies, wasps, wax moths and possible SHB. Once the mixture ferments it starts working.

Hardware stores have yellow jackets traps that I hear work really well, they use pheromones and chemical scents.

MB and Flowerplanter, how much apple cider vinegar approx. do you add to ????what volume of sugar syrup?

Starting to sound like something apple, as in apple juice or apple cider vinegar works very well for liquid wasp trap bait.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

For yellow jackets, meat.

A little ham or turkey lunch meat really brings 'em in.
    2 hives, 1st year, 0 clue, zone 9a

There is a recipe and description of the trap here:
    http://www.beeworks.com/informationcentre/wax_moth.html

He is listing it for wax moths, but I found it works great on yellow jackets as well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Cut the top part of a 2 liter pop bottle, invert it and tape it back on. Fill with about 2 inches of Mountain Dew. Best trap I've ever used.

We simply fry some pork, turkey, chicken, or beef in oil, then leave the frying pan with the oil and juices outside. We catch far more this way than any trap we have used over the years. Presently, we are catching 100+ every few days.

We live on a ranch/farm and there are millions of these yellow jackets all over Central Valley.

Weird thing is, when you attempt to eat meat outside, these little guys will fight you tooth and nail for the meat during this time of the year. They are going after the carbs. In the spring, they go after the sweets.

I'll try to post pics later...