Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Claremore, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    27

    Default Bad reaction to bee sting!

    Bad reaction to bee sting!
    This is my 5 year keeping bees. I have been stung many times with nothing more than a whelp the size of a quarter. Went out to refill their sugar water yesterday evening and on the way back, ended up getting stung on the my face. Both hands and feet went bright red and swelled up. Then had a bad rash all over. Ended up going to the hospital, they gave me some drugs and such. Everything is good now but my doctor said the next one could be worse. Any suggestions on what I can do or why this happened?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rockford, MI
    Posts
    2,667

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    Can't help you much with your predicament, but when I get tagged I have to down about half a bottle of benadryl.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    CapeCod MA
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    same thing happened to me at 5 years and many stings I was driving home from an out yard and felt somthing crawing on my ankle I squished the bee and she hit me must have hit a nerve or vain. By the time I got home I could hardly walk on the golf ball size welts on my feet. Eyes swelled the works , never effected my breathing. Went to Doc got a shot and now have appi pen...just in case have not been stung in 2 years now but I suit up for everything now and use smoke, no more casual openings.I must say my girls have been sweet harts and I am slowly taking more chances. I almost cant wait to get stung again.....but I will try not to. Some times we get stung for no other reason but being in their flight path.good luck

  4. #4

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    It would be wise, in my opinion, to make an appointment to see an allergist. Your doc might be right. The morning after your next sting....you might just wake up dead.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    3,070

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    I had a reaction to a hornet sting to my upper lip years ago that was life threatening. I was told the same thing. The next sting could be worse. in fact the next sting I had no reaction. In my case the reaction was due to the location of the sting. as I understand it the venom reached my sinuses. This then caused the venom to be passed through my entire body. It is possible this throughout my body invasion of the venom caused my immune system to over react. That reaction could have been fatal.

    That this in fact can happen from venom reaching the sinuses. I have wondered if there are other glands and organs that can cause similar reactions such a lymph nodes etc. I also wonder if what are considered allergic reactions to bees is not often the result of a sting to a gland or specific location to the body.

    At any rate I highly recommend you be tested for allergy to bee venom rather than waiting to see if you have another reaction to a sting.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    brownwood, TX, USA
    Posts
    843

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    I have been stung several times, and only once did it swell. All of my other bee stings have resulted in a red spot the size of a quarter or less. The next day there may or may not be some minor itching. But, one sting between my left thumb and index finger swelled the back of my hand for two days, and it itched unmercifully the next day. I have been stung since then with the usual results. My standard operation procedure is to apply meat tenderizer as soon as back to the ranch headquarters and take a slug of liquid benadril.

    From reading several such threads as this, it is apparent that the location of the sting is paramount to the sting results. I am going to make more effort to keep from being stung, period.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    Quote Originally Posted by lazy shooter View Post
    it is apparent that the location of the sting is paramount to the sting results.
    For local reactions, I think you are right. If you are allergic to bee venom....I don't believe it matters.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    You probably need to go and see an allergist. They can do some test to find out just how allergic you maybe to bee stings. And if need be they can start desensitizing therapy. The type of reaction you describe is the kind you have to really worry about.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Outagamie County, Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Bad reaction to bee sting!

    Bee venom DOES travel in the blood stream.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads