Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

I'd like to modify my TBH

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bush_84 
#1 ·
Now that I've had about a year with my TBH, I can see where I did somethings wrong and would like to make improvements; however, it's full of bees.
I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be to move them all to a box wide enough to support the bars while I work on the hive.
What's the best time of the year to do that? They will only need to be out of their hive for about an hour.

Thoughts? - Mike

#8 ·
When I built the hive, I could not locate 1/8" HW cloth, so I used plastic screening from a craft shop; used for embroidery. I don't think it would withstand any scraping and it seems to have deformed because heavy comb pressed against it. I want to replace the plastic with HW cloth.

I'm currently thinking out how I will replace the plastic with the least disturbance to the hive. - Mike

#5 ·
I would just construct a box out of scrap lumber, plywood or whatever that the bars will hang from the top edge. no need for a roof or anything. just leave a gap for them to come and go.

My TBH is mounted to a permanent base so bees returning might be a problem. I can remove the hive from the base but would only do so for some very intense modifying.

#9 ·
How about tearing it off and stapling more on? Or you could do it the easy way and transfer them to your second TBH and make the changes to the original TBH. When you transfer them you wouldn't move them. You would setup the second TBH right next to the old site. You then remove the old TBH after transfer. If the new TBH with bees isn't to heavy you then move it to where the original stood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.