Default Winter Bee Feeding (Ohio)

I was wanting to know if anyone has tried to use NO Melt Apple Dough as a Winter feed. I saw this a Meijer and pick one up. It says it only contains Rendered Beef Suet, Corn, Wheat , Artificial Apple Flavoring. I have not used it yet and I do not want to harm my bee's. This is my first year Bee keeping.

I hope that I put this in the correct form / post

Jim

Default Re: Winter Bee Feeding (Ohio)

Bees are vegetarians, aren't they? Why would one want to feed them rendered beef suet? And artificial apple flavoring? What's that for?

It beef fat was. Not sure if I would not call it beef

Many animals are vegetarians but are force fed animal by products usually to increase a bottom line. We humans are force fed corn products in our diet at very unnatural quantities both in the plant and animal foods that we eat.
    Unfortunately, this is a normal way of doing things today. It certainly isn't natural and it will continue because there isn't a practical way of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that it is bad. On the other hand they have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it is good (for a bottom line).
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Is this a product that is being recommended as a bee feed? By whom?

Thumbs down Re: Winter Bee Feeding (Ohio)

Hay if it is FREE. What do you have to lose, they're going to be dead in the spring anyway. Come on really the bees already have a time coming through winter with the real stuff, why feed them filler.

You call it good for the bottom line, but I see it totally differently. Its a cheap food policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Many animals are vegetarians but are force fed animal by products usually to increase a bottom line. We humans are force fed corn products in our diet at very unnatural quantities both in the plant and animal foods that we eat.
    Unfortunately, this is a normal way of doing things today. It certainly isn't natural and it will continue because there isn't a practical way of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that it is bad. On the other hand they have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that it is good (for a bottom line).
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Jim, I think that food would hurt your bees if fed over the winter. It might look nice and easy to feed but its not straight sugar which means the bees will have to excrete waste while consuming it. And if they are confined to the hive and flightless during the time of feeding, their guts will fill. Bees can only excrete waste while flying, well until they start to get sick, then they start making a mess within the hive.

So, id probably not feed that stuff

keep it simple, keep it sugar
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I think that it probably doesn't contain enough protein or sugar to benefit the bees. I don't think it would do much good or harm either for that matter. I doubt it would be consumed. Unless you know you are going to have flying weather, you don't really want the bees ingesting a lot of indigestable solids do you? I think the chickadees would benefit more from your purchase.

First of all you have to know if the bees like the taste of it. Then there is the complexity of figuring out if it has all the correct amino acids that are required to keep the bees and the brood healthy and vibrant. There is also the issue of digestibility of all the amino acids. Here is a good site too give some ideas. http://www.honeybee.com.au/Library/p...nutrition.html

I can't believe the OP was serious.
    It's clearly labled and marketed as bird food.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

It was just a question, that I was asking as I'm new to bee keeping,and as for the comment It's clearly lab led and marketed as bird food.*The last time I checked sugar is not clearly labeled and marked bee feed either. I did some additional checking and it is not good for bee's and I will not be using it. Thank you for comments.

kc8bvf, (is that a ham license?)

i would recommend reading on bushfarms.com, (or get the book).

excellent info on feeding and just about anything else bee related.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Yes it is a ham license. I will check out bushfarms.com