Default "Support Our Troops"

I got a call from the Jefferson County Probation Department yesterday. No, I didn't violate my terms of probation. Turns out Jon Riggs is deploying to Afghjanistan for a fourth tour of duty. The Dept has sent gift boxes from home to Jon's Squad regularly while deployed, including Squeak Creek Honey. So Barbara called to see if i would send them some more honey to send on to Jon. Of course I would.

I don't know about you, but I have fallen short in doing something for our Soldiers. Something more than thinking of them and how long this war has been going on.

I encourage you to find a "Support Our Troops" group and show your support. Or start a group of your own. Lest we forget. Which would be shameful.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 10-13-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: new info
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Default Re: "Support Our Troops"

sqkcrk: I don't know about you, but I have fallen short in doing something for our Soldiers. Something more than thinking of them and how
    long this war has been going on.

Its been going on so long that a lot of us have become this way. Thanks for the reminder to actually "Support" our troops.

Our son is in Afghanistan.

My wife is involved in the boxes to soldiers. Taking your lead and adding, she suggested the honey straws..

Good info!

Carry on.
    Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

Good post!

Ozone,
    What's his MOS? What's he doing there? Most of us have no idea.

I like sending the No Drip Invert Containers. But I bet the straws are something a Soldier can carry w/ them one patrol whereas a 1 lb invert containeer would be too bulky. Good idea 'zone.

Give him our best. A buzz from beesource.

I also like to ask if there is someone w/out family back in the States. Some of the best letters I got were from a fellow who served in Iraq w/ my son. Michael was from the Phillipines and had no family in the US to write to or receive mail from. He told me things about my son which he woulkd not have told me himself. I charish those letters.

My Marine has been there about 2 weeks. He is purportedly (by CNN) one of the last 6 (marines or all) servicemen to be deployed to Afghanistan. I'm not sure what he is doing.

As for those without families, tis a shame. And I suppose they GREATLY appreciate a personal correspondance. It's tough being somewhere with no personal person to vent or muse with.

Those care boxes are great , but an ongoing dialog would do measures for morale.

Carry on!
    Trying techniques that I doubt will work because I like to be right!

Jon wrote me to tell me it's his FOURTH Tour. Wow. So much demanded from so few. I know that people enlist to do the work these people do, but 4 tours?

My youngest left for basic on Labor Day. He's at the Marine Corp Recruiting Depot in San Diego.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

My son Josh just left for Basra last week as a private contractor after 5 previous tours in Iraq. He loves it there. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    My youngest left for basic on Labor Day. He's at the Marine Corp Recruiting Depot in San Diego.
    That would be bootcamp if he's entering the Marine Corps. Basic is well for the Army and Air Force. Not sure what the Navy calls it. Maybe boating 101.

Hats off to all our military members, past, current and future. I have always supported them by offering 10% off any of our products when purchased directly from us.

Sending them honey is always a big hit as well. We used to send care packages for local Marines deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq when we were living in Kansas City Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    That would be bootcamp if he's entering the Marine Corps. Basic is well for the Army and Air Force. Not sure what the Navy calls it. Maybe boating 101.

Hats off to all our military members, past, current and future. I have always supported them by offering 10% off any of our products when purchased directly from us.

Sending them honey is always a big hit as well. We used to send care packages for local Marines deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq when we were living in Kansas City Mo.
    Navy calls it Basic Training at Great Lakes, IL.

If you can't get linked in with a group, may I suggest the USO for donations. They are everywhere over here and they do a great job. Most FOBS have a phone center, game room (ever popular), computer, wifi, coffee, snacks, Fantasy Football, games, books, etc. They really support the troops!

Navy is over here in force with 2000+ sailors. SEAL's, SeaBees, Individual Augmentee's, EOD, Military Police, Military Working Dogs, etc.

My two oldest sons are in the service, One Army, One Navy. My Navy son is deployed. Won't be back for a year, did I mention he's only 19? *sigh* If anyone would like to send my son a jar of honey or lip balm or something I can give you his info, he's gotten 3 big boxes of cookies and candy from my friends and family this year so far, but 2 of them haven't made it yet due to the storm and delays. He is distributing goodies to people on the ship from us. His shop is big and has like 200 people that work there, so if you want to send something please let me know via PM I will send you his FPO

God Bless our troops!