Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Virginia Beekeepers Ass. meetng advice

I would like some advice on how or what to do.
    The Virginia State Beekeepers Association is having it's meeting next month and I'm shocked and amazed that one of the two speakers is Jerry Hayes, if your not familiar with him he is a honey bee guy that works for Monsanto!
    I just can not believe that the association is having him speak or thinks that he has beekeepers best interest. Am I just being crazy??
    I know that Jerry and Monsanto say they want to help control honey bee pest and find a solution for CCD but as far as I'm concerned they are the problem that's causing the CCD. Again I'm I crazy.

Default Re: Virginia Beekeepers Ass. meetng advice

It seems to me that you have two choices. You can go to the meeting and see what he has to say or you can presume he’s corrupt, without any evidence, and not attend.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Today was the annual meeting of the Maine State Beekeepers Association and one of the speakers was Jerry Hayes. The first portion of his talk, I thought, was very interesting as he discussed the historical background of CCD. The latter part of his talk, I thought, went too deeply in touting the wonders and benefits of Monsanto's genetically modified corn and it's contribution to the world's health, nutrition and well-being. It was necessary to go into this, I guess, since like the corn, the concept of mucking with the honeybees' RNA is apparently key to what was billed as Monsanto's quest to "control Honey Bee parasites and pathogens using non-chemical controls."

Not sure what the "non-chemical" is going to be but he implied that it is a product that will be sprayed directly on the bees. When asked if it persists, he said no. Seems that the "non-chemical" will be a product to purchase and apply annually. He did not take many questions. I wanted to ask if there is any resulting genetic changes that can ultimately be spread to neighboring non-treated hives through drones heading out to do what drones do, but did not get a chance to. (I suspect Monsanto's lawyers have determined there is no risk for this and he would not be able to say otherwise.)

The speaker before Mr Hayes was Michael Bush. Since I was sitting behind him, I could only imagine what his reaction to the talk was.

My advice is to go to the meeting if there are other speakers and if you get a chance, ask Jerry Hayes about non-treated hives becoming genetically mucked up since Monsanto will obviously be unable to control the flight paths of drones treated with their "non-chemical."

Wayne

Wayne,
    Thanks for the information. Very interesting as I wanted to go to the meeting and ask questions. Looks like Jerry and Monsanto are to smart to take questions. I'm just wondering why any beekeepers association would have him come speak. I can't believe that Monsanto has beekeepers best interest unless it is money to them. Ask the dairy farmers how Monsanto helped them. None I have talked to still use there product because it was so bad for the cows.

In his defense, he did take some questions, though, perhaps due to time constraints, he didn't take a lot and I didn't get a chance to ask mine. Most questions did not get to the heart of the technology and it's impacts, except for the one person who asked if the treatment persists or needs to be done on a regular basis.

The first questioner did directly ask why he was coming to our meeting to (and I'm paraphrasing.) act as a shill for a company that is causing so many problems for us. I suspect that that might have put him a bit on the defensive side though I would expect him to get used to it, since so many believe that the fox is now guarding the hen house.

At the Maine annual meeting, the Monsanto promotion was a small part of the entire program, and as I said, the first half of his talk was interesting. You may find the rest of your meeting worthwhile and informative also. Dr, Nancy Ostiguy is researching CCD at Penn State, focusing on non-pesticidal approaches to pest control and should be an interesting speaker at your meeting.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    many believe that the fox is now guarding the hen house.
    I always find it interesting when folks immediately associate a paycheck and corruption. So many people believe everyone thinks the same as they do themselves….making such insinuations a personal reflection.
    It just might be that Jerry Hayes is in the fox den protecting the chickens. It seems reasonable to me to give folks a chance to prove their worth.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Sorry, you are just being crazy. Jerry was the head of the Florida Apiary Inspection division in FLorida prior to joining Monsanto. It is easy to paint with a broad brush. I am sure that he has nothing but the best intentions for the bees and beekeepers.

If you do no research, you will never progress to a better position. Someone has to do the research and it has to be paid for. Be thankful that it is someone with your and the bees interest at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeshearse View Post
    Sorry, you are just being crazy....
    I have no interest in what he did in Florida. I know what I heard him say Saturday and I know who is paying his salary now.

I have no intention of ever buying a Monsanto product so I'm just going to have to continue with the soft-treatments I use if required. My only fear is the possibility of our bee stock being ruined by Monsanto-generated genetics. He didn't rule that out in his presentation in Maine, didn't even broach the subject.

And please, don't call me crazy. That's quite rude of you. Learn some manners.

Wayne

One thing Jerry Hayes mentioned was the Israeli Acute Paralysis Honeybee Viruses. I remember first reading about this honeybee virus in the Zola Leavitt newsletter. I don't have a copy of the article and cannot find it on the internet. It was a good article. Jerry Hayes just briefly mentioned about the Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus. linn

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    I just can not believe that the association is having him speak or thinks that he has beekeepers best interest. Am I just being crazy??
    I know that Jerry and Monsanto say they want to help control honey bee pest and find a solution for CCD but as far as I'm concerned they are the problem that's causing the CCD. Again I'm I crazy.
    The crazy statement was not for you WaynesGarden. When someone asks a rhetorical question they should expect an answer they may not like.

And believe me, if they try and patent bee genetics then charge everyone who's bees get contaminated with them we will all be screaming like crazy. Paint them how you wish, but Monsanto has fed a lot of people. I don't want to get into an aurgument here and I know that many feel that Monsanto is "The Great Satan". But there is always more than one side of any story. I just think it is shortsighted and frankly, to condemn someone from association and ignore all past accomplishments and things they have done is insulting.

I would bet you benefit from Monsanto products quite often, like it or not.

As for manners, pot calling the kettle I would say.

Matters not, You take care and you do have my best wishes.

jeb
    Last edited by jbeshearse; 10-14-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added content

I'm shocked and amazed that one of the two speakers is Jerry Hayes, if your not familiar with him he is a honey bee guy that works for Monsanto!
    I just can not believe that the association is having him speak or thinks that he has beekeepers best interest.
    Toad,

If you're so displeased with how the state org is selecting speakers then take a more active role in the organization. I'm certain that your willingness to participate would be welcomed.

I dont know if anyone noticed, but look at the title of this thread w/out the "meeting advice". If thats what your having a meeting about, I think Ill pass.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Toad,
    take a more active role in the organization. I'm certain that your willingness to participate would be welcomed.
    You have got to be kidding. That ship is locked up tighter than tight.
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Those who standby and accept the status quo deserve what they themselves accept by not gtetting involved. Figure out what it takes. Volunhteer for a job no one else wants to do. See a need and fill it. Get on a Committee. Show up when committees meet and sit in. If they don't want your participation go anyway.

Go to Board of Directors Meetings, most are open to members or should be. Make a pest of yourself, with kindness of course, if that's what it takes. Don't accept things the way they are. Change comes by one person standing up.

Of course I don't know what you mean or what VA Beekeepers Association is like, but it doesn't matter. If you think something isn't right it is your duty to say so. Certainly there is a General Membership Meeting, isn't there? Get up and speak during New Business. Make a Motion. Have someone nominate you for a position. Nothing may come of it at first but you will be noticed. Keep trying. Don't give up.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Go to Board of Directors Meetings, most are open to members or should be. Make a pest of yourself, with kindness of course, if that's what it takes. Don't accept things the way they are. Change comes by one person standing up.
    You obviously don't know Karla...Winevines. There aren't many out there as active and kind, and open to...and at the forefront of change, as she is. You're preaching to the choir director Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    You obviously don't know Karla...Winevines. There aren't many out there as active and kind, and open to...and at the forefront of change, as she is. You're preaching to the choir director Mark.
    Then Karla knows what I am sayingt and should have said it herself me thinks. Thanks for the info, I don't know Karla ... winevives. I do know Statewide Beekeeping Organizations, such as ESHPA and how deadlocked and in the past things can be.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Hmmm... Then how was it that the previous president went from a total rookie about 5 years ago to the state president after attending a relatively few state meeting. Seems like that ship has room for new passengers.

Crazy? No, but seems you have made up your mind about Jerry Hayes. So, if you go and listen to what he has to say whatever he says will be tainted by your bias.

I think you should go and listen. Then how you feel may be justified or you may find that you will learn something.

Set aside your preconceptions and you might enjoy his talk.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    ...if you go and listen to what he has to say whatever he says will be tainted by your bias.
    I think if one were to go hear Jerry give this talk at this point and expect that you are being presented with unbiased information, I would say, "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus".

deknow

Would you call that your bias?
    My bias is that I respect Jerry Hayes and would like to kn ow what he has to say and I would like to know why he feels working on Beeologics for Monsanto is a good idea for him, a good career path move.

I think anyone going into any informatiuon sharing situation w/out recognizing that each and every person has an agenda is foolish and delusional. That being said, an open mind and open eyes are called for when one opens themselves to learning something new.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast