Default How Cold is too cold to move hives

Hi,

A friend of mine who lives in Pulaski,TN is giving his hives too me (located in Charlotte,NC). I am wondering what if moving the bees during the winter is harmful to them. If the trip was made during a day of daytime temps in the 50s is this too cold? Should i wait till Feb? The trip is approx 8 hrs.

Thank you for all your help!!

Jantsen

Default Re: How Cold is too cold to move hives

Won't harm them at all. Your current teps are near perfect. In my misspent youth I used to help handload single on flatbed trucks headed to Texas in January when it was usually far below zero F.

Gas up before you load and then go. Stop only for fuel and snacks, not for a meal. Get to where you want to unload them at the break of day and set them on the ground and your good. Do the trip over night if you can and they should stay cool enough not to fly when you stop for fuel.

What kind of vehicle do you have to move them in? A pickup truck is good. How many hives? Pulaski,TN to Charlotte,NC is an 8 hour drive? Can you get someone to go with you? How are you going to unload them, assuming your buddy will help you load?

Have fun.
    "Most of my exercise comes from wrestling with pigs and beating dead horses."
    Mark Berninghausen

I just move a bunch a short distance in colder weather. One thing that help I'm move the hive two the back of the trailer. Was a 8' 2x4 cut in half two pieces of 1/2" all thread rod. And two piece of scrape metal. Say 2" long. In the middle of the 2x4 screw the piece of metal so that about a half inch stick out. Then drill two holes in each 2x4 say 25" off the center. Slip over hide in finger grip tighten the nuts and now you have a easy way to lift the hive. Made one out of scrape and work great. The only way it would have been better is if I had a fork lift. To do it.

How many bees is he giving you. If there are enough spare a hive, I will help you drive for a hive.

Thank you all for the help! I do have a buddy helping me. Also I'll be driving a pickup. It will be a mixed purpose trip.....but on shot nonstop on the way back. I'll be getting 3 hives from him. Thank you all so much once again.

Jantsen