Default wax cappings black?

I was looking into my hive yesterday and in the brood box the wax cappings on stored honey were black not white. I did not have a camera with me so I am sorry I do not have a picture. Do you think this is mold? What can be done? Thank you in advance.

Default Re: wax cappings black?

A picture would be nice. I know they recycle used wax in the hive all the time. Could be used wax taken from brood comb. I think they gradually let the cocoons replace the wax in the brood combs. Then use it elsewhere.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

Wax comb in brood chamber will get dark from cocoons but not the cappings. mold also not likely our girls are clean they wouldn't let mold hang out on cappings. you could be looking at bee bread which is a mix of pollen and some of those are very dark. Or if it is for sure black wax cappings are they sunken or perforated? whats under the wax may make it look black check again, take a picture or several, and poke a hole in a few see whats under it...

Do they look like this? Finally found a pic of dark cappings on google images. This is recycled brood wax.

img9520d.jpg
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

dark cappings are called 'wet' cappings. There is nothing wrong with it other than not being a good choose for cut comb.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Yes, that is what it looks like Ralph! Ok..not too worry. Thank you so much for all your help. This forum and the knowledge and help on it is amazing!