Hybrid View

Default 2 LBS or 3 LBS for Packaged Bees?

I am about to order my first 3 packages of bees. I found a seller that is just a couple hours from me. They offer bees in 2# and 3# packages; however, the 2# packages are available sooner, and at a lower price. So, as I will be a new beekeeper, what are your suggestions? Ideas? Is it worth getting bees a couple weeks earlier, if I get less? The bees will be introduced to a hive of wooden frames with foundations - no drawn-out comb.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

Default Re: 2 LBS or 3 LBS for Packaged Bees?

Wait until spring. They most likely (definitely) wont make it through winter.

Get the 3# package next spring. The larger population makes a big difference that first month.

I think I would go with the 2# package two weeks earlier as long as it is at a time that the queen will start laying. If that's the case, with the two week head start, say she laid 1,000 eggs a day that's 14,000 young bees (brood at that time, but you get the trade off) you'll have instead of 10,000(extra pound) old bees. You just have to keep in mind the weather at the time you get them and if it is a time hives start growing in your area.

If you had drawn comb 2# packages would be ok but considering the lag of building cells to lay in I would get the 3# packages and let them draw comb.

How about two 2#, one w/queen, one w/o?