Thread: winter feeding

Default winter feeding

This will be my first winter with bees. They have done well this summer. We grow lots of berries and a large garden for them to work. I've not harvested any honey, as I want to make sure they do well.
    Two large hive bodies full, and 1 1/2 honey supers full. I've fed them lots of syrup too, so they have lots of comb. I'll be making fondant to have on hand, and I ordered some bee patties. There's the problem. On the lable, it says not to put in the hive if honey supers are in place. In my reading I've not come across this issue. What have I missed? I assumed that between their honey, some fondant and patties, they would do well. I don't want to open the hive in a Kansas winter to see if they're out of honey.
    Thanks for any help.

Default Re: winter feeding

Reduce the entrance, wrap the hive in tar paper in November, and wait for spring. If you have two deeps and a super full of honey, they don't need anything else for winter, and I would not put a protein patty on this late (nor a grease patty, for that matter, or any thymol or treatments).

They should do just fine if the hive has 90 lbs or so of honey in it.

The only reason to feed anything in winter is if they are short on honey. Yours aren't.

Peter

That's plenty of stores

agreed, sounds like enough stores.

you want them to almost run out the that syrup 'honey' before the nectar flow starts in the spring.

if you figure out a way to weigh your hives, you won't have to open them when its too cold.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by George 53 View Post
    I ordered some bee patties. There's the problem. On the lable, it says not to put in the hive if honey supers are in place. In my reading I've not come across this issue. What have I missed?
    There may be more in the patties than just pollen substitute and sugar. Its hard to say specifically since you did not mention the brand of patties you bought. But for instance, some patty recipes might have small amounts of something like Honey-B-Healthy® in the patty. The instructions for Honey-B-Healthy® specify it is not to be used with honey supers in place.

http://honeybhealthy.com/flyer.pdf

However, generally it is expected that honey in supers is intended for human consumption. If you are leaving that honey for the bees exclusively, then you can choose a different direction.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”