Default New hive doesn't appear to have eggs or larvae

Hi, all, this is my first time beekeeping, so I'm a bit in the dark still. I have a question about a top bar nuc (that's right -- I said it -- I bought a nuc for a top bar hive) that I installed yesterday.

When I opened my nuc, it was pretty much bursting with bees. The nuc had 10 top bars on it. At least 4-5 of these bars were fully drawn with comb. About 3-4 were partially drawn bars (About 25% - 75% drawn). The last two bars were just starting to be drawn.

The bars were capped with lots and lots of brood. Maybe 80% or so of the comb was capped. Most of these seemed to be capped workers and about 20% capped drones. There was a little pollen, but no nectar or capped honey. What worries me though is that I didn't really see any eggs or larvae. Granted, without glasses, my eyesight isn't the best and it's worse under a veil. So I'm not surprised about not seeing eggs, but I'm a little confused that there didn't seem to be larvae.

My son and I were not able to find the queen, but I believe she is in there based on the way the bees all settled nicely into the hive.

Any thoughts about what is happening here? Should I just wait a week and see if there are any larvae? Or should I do something else?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: New hive doesn't appear to have eggs or larvae

No experience with TBH here, but the principle still applies...I think
    Sometimes, as the available comb for the queen to lay in, gets filled with brood, and the bees can't keep up with building new comb fast enough, the queen will take a "break". Also, you mention there was pollen but not much nectar or capped honey...that is what is needed for the bees to draw new comb.
    I would suggest you get them on 1:1 syrup and go from there. Not sure if you have another hive that does have uncapped brood/eggs, but if you do, you could give your hive in question a frame(bar) and see if they start Q cells. That way you'll be sure you do have a queen in there.
    Just my thoughts...Good luck!

I would wait a few days to see if eggs grow into larva. Perhaps take some photos so you can do a before and after comparison. Also, you can enlarge the photos, (without your veil on ) and perhaps find eggs in the photo.

> no nectar or capped honey.

Is it possible that some of the capped [apparent brood] cells are really honey? Even if the queen is missing, it is unusual to have no honey on a TBH bar that has brood.

(photo linked from Beesource Glossary: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...eping-Glossary
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Thanks for this insight! I put some syrup out there yesterday because I haven't seem much in bloom around here right now. Will hope that space was the issue. Thanks again.

That's a great idea to take photos and blow them up where I can search them later in the comfort of my air-conditioned home! I will definitely do that! Thanks for that awesome tip!!!