Default new queen flew away

went into my hive after a couple of days with requeen in place and looked like they had accepted her, so I thought I would release her. She flew away. She marked, so I was able to watch her do it. there are queen cups (about 4 or so) in the hive as well. Have read on other posts that she might come back. Only hive in the area that I know of.

questions:

will this hive have enough time to get ready for the winter if she does not come back and they raise up their own queen?

how long until I can know that she is really not coming back?

feedback would be appreciated.

when I released her, I stood there for quite awhile pushing frames back into place because I had left a frame out. Found out later this might have been a good thing.

Default Re: new queen flew away

Ok.
    1. You know you don't have a queen, order another one. There has to larve present for the bees to make their own queen. Is there larve in the queen cups? If there is, it might change things, but I would still play it safe and get another queen.

2. She might come back, she might not. If she is not in there tomorrow. She ain't comin back.

3. I am in East Tennessee, so our weather is pretty much the same as yours, there is plenty of time for them to build up for winter.

Let me know how it goes.

Matt

Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago. Was advised to wait 3 to 4 days and check to see if she came back. I waited, and she came back!!

thanks for feedback. I'll wait just a few days, really busy anyway right now.

I do have capped brood in this hive, just a little. Will the bees move that brood into the cups? Is that how they manage to raise up a queen? Also makes me wonder where the brood came from. I looked and couldn't find the queen in all the open and drone cells going on. Tore the whole hive apart to look before I ordered this last queen.

did you go looking for her or see brood and knew she was there?

Take a look at Michael Bush's website, the Practical beekeeper. According to his beemath if you see eggs you know your queen was there within the last three and a half days, etc... New queens can only be made from eggs or very young larvae. If the cells are capped they are way too old. Are the capped cells flat or shaped like pencil erasers? The eraser looking ones are drones which take longest to hatch out.

Bees can only make queens from 1-3 day old larva for the most part. The older the larva the quality of the queen diminishes as well.

1 to 2 day old larva get royal jelly. By the third day, they get worker jelly and the larva is too old to make a good queen.

Next time a queen flies do this:

1) don't move (she will orient on you)
    2) don't close the hive (she need to smell it)
    3) pick up a frame with bees and shake them back down into the hive. You will see them come to the top, put their butts in the air and start fanning Nasonov pheromone. (they will guide her back)
    4) wait and watch until you either see her return (she is noticeably larger) or ten minutes have passed

Close it up and go home...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Went in today. Found no queen or indication of one. Ordered another today. I will put her in in Friday. I'm going out of town for 2 weeks, so I am going to hang her off a short comb and put her in the brood area. Sink or swim for her I guess.