Default right bee for southern NH

what race, strain and from own should i get bees from? all that i wont is good strong bees that most likly to not get destroyed by mite and will not freeze to death, production is not the mean thing i just wont what ever is lest likely to die?

Default Re: right bee for southern NH

Quote Originally Posted by grunt03033 View Post
    what race, strain and from own should i get bees from? all that i wont is good strong bees that most likly to not get destroyed by mite and will not freeze to death, production is not the mean thing i just wont what ever is lest likely to die?
    You've asked a loaded question. But in reality, whatever race, Italians, Carniolans, or hygenic hybrids that your local beekeepers use and sell come package time are a good place to start. It is probably much more critical to learn enough to know what you are doing for success with bees, vs. their genetic heritage. An inept keeper can probably make a mess out of bees of any race, creed, color, religion or sexual orientation. Hook up with a club and even better a local experienced keeper to get you through the "I know everything I've read, but nothing practical stage" and you'll have more enjoyment and less angst.

Welcome and enjoy!

I have had good success with Buckfast and Russians. They tend to be smaller than the Italians or Carniolans. I am using natural cell size (well mostly) and am in my third first year of beekeeping.

I agree 100% with what BeeButler said. Definately hook up with a mentor and a local club.

Buy some nucs from local beeks

Quote Originally Posted by wadehump View Post
    Buy some nucs from local beeks
    Good idea here. I'm just over the MA border and that's how I started a few years back (with just two hives )

Go to your local beekeepers club meeting and ask around. You'll get 10 different answers... but they can lead you to the local beeks who raise them.

http://monadnockbeekeepers.com/

Of course you could always go down to Deerfield, Ma and see Dan Conlon at Warm Colors. I've had good success with his Russians.