Sad Increased Dead Workers are normal in Fall?

I am a newbee beekeeper and in September I noticed a lot of dead drones, which I expected since the workers throw them out. In the past 10 days though I am noticing a much greater number of dead worker bees at the entrance landing board This is every day, anywhere from 15-30 dead worker bees. These are small hives, with one brood box and medium for each hive.

Should I be concerned or is this the start of CCD or whatever?

Default Re: Increased Dead Workers are normal in Fall?

You need to determine your mite load even if you have already treated for mites. Not all treatments work. I have a hive I treated with hop guard that is overrun with mites (30plus mites per 200 after two weeks of treatment). The formic acid fumigator was very successful with one or two mites per 200 bees four weeks after. Do a search on the either roll or the sugar roll method and get the count asap as time to remedy mite infestations is growing short.

Are you using entrance reducers? If not, put them on. My hives were doing the same thing. This is my first year w/Bees, too so I was freaked out about all the carcasses. Put on the reducers and no more dead bees. They were being robbed and there was a lot of fighting going on. The reducers make the hives easier to defend. Small hives make easy targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Belewsboy View Post
    Are you using entrance reducers? If not, put them on. My hives were doing the same thing. This is my first year w/Bees, too so I was freaked out about all the carcasses. Put on the reducers and no more dead bees. They were being robbed and there was a lot of fighting going on. The reducers make the hives easier to defend. Small hives make easy targets.
    I put them on yesterday as a precaution. I'll report back if things get better. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
    You need to determine your mite load even if you have already treated for mites. Not all treatments work. I have a hive I treated with hop guard that is overrun with mites (30plus mites per 200 after two weeks of treatment). The formic acid fumigator was very successful with one or two mites per 200 bees four weeks after. Do a search on the either roll or the sugar roll method and get the count asap as time to remedy mite infestations is growing short.
    I've not done the sugar roll because I never see mites on the sticky board. Maybe I am making false assumptions on that. I will do a sugar roll and see how it goes. Thanks.

Due to the cooler weather in the northern part of the country, the live bees will only drag the dead bees to the front enterance and run back into the warm hive. When the weather is warm the bees will fly the dead bees several feet from the hive. As the weather gets colder the dead bees will get closer to the hive and during the winter they will accumulate in the hive and may need to be removed or they will block the reduced enterance.