Question Winter wrapping.

Here in Western Maine, is it too early to wrap my hives for the up coming winter? Would also be installing my candy boards at the same time.

rick

Default Re: Winter wrapping.

well mine are all wraped up for winter. I wait till later to ad any back up feeding all mine are heavy right now .
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Wrap away. No need to start Candy Boards yets unless the hives are extremely light. Check with the Western Maine Beekeepers for more local info. You can find contact information for them at www.mainebeekeepers.org
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I wait until late November when all my other chores are done; usually around Thanksgiving. It's not too early, just no need to do it now.

Last year no hives were wrapped. My Loses then were a few hives in open, windswept locations.

Wayne

I was busy with company and life and didn't get wrapped. I was not worried because it was still early. I look out the window at six inches of snow and highs below freezing the rest of the week. I wish I had mine wrapped 'TOO' early.

With deer hunting upon us here in Maine and my trip to NY and Pa for more deer hunting, I think I will go ahead and wrap the hives up and install the wind breaks later in the week. Weather here continues to be mild, but snow could fall at any time.
    thanks for all the responses.

I'm not from Maine but I did wrap my hives tonight. I understand you cannot wrap too early and does not hurt anything if you have proper ventilation. Upper midwest-Canada I'm talking about. Maine about the same.