Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Landing Boards are they needed

Are landing boards really needed on production hives or can a hole drilled in the side do just as good. And if so what size hole is recommended.

Default Re: Landing Boards are they needed

On the two top bar hives and a double nuc I have there is no landing board just a 1" hole. The bees seem to do just fine.

They are not "necessary". The easiest alternative is to cut a piece of plywood the same size as the box, glue or nail 3/4" X 3/4" strips of wood around 3 sides, and leave one end open as their entrance. An easy no frills bottom board is all you really need.

3/4" strips of different lengths can be used as entrance reducers throughout the season.

Like these.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 01-29-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    To everything there is a season....

The landing board is of no advantage to the bees and some say is a real advantage to skunks, mice and other pests. That said, I like them so I can observe bees going in and out. If I have crawlers or DWV they are easier to find. Additionally if you decide to reverse brood boxes an entrance hole might be an issue. One could easily build a bottom board without landing board.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm

I have never seen a beetree with a landing board, so I believe they are not necessary. I do believe that they do make life easier for a full laden forager..

Crazy Roland

Yes, a big help for the incoming foragers considering at the peak of the population growth there
    are 50000 or so bees. The foragers will not have a traffic jam with a landing board all the way
    across. The 2 side wood strips are at equal distance as the hive box. They are raised 1.5" from the
    bottom board so that in our hot summer time the bees can fan the hive to cool everything down. The bottom
    board is a bit longer say 2" from the tip of the 2 side wood strips. This will make a landing board for the busy foragers.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

They make life easier for the mice...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Are landing boards really needed on production hives or can a hole drilled in the side do just as good. And if so what size hole is recommended.
    Water and condensation needs to be able to drain out. My entrance is ⅜" high which keeps out rodents here. A 1" hole would be a good size for my hives, but ⅜" screen would need to bee in place part of the year to keep out rodents. And I like to be able to observe the bees coming in and out for several reasons, including aesthetics.
    David
    "Performance speaks louder than math." Michael Palmer

Definitely not necessary but I do enjoy watching the bees on them.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I used to think landing boards were necessary, but they are not.

If you sell landing boards, yes.
    Fifth year. Four colonies.

I think they inprove the efficiency of foragers returning and entering the hive. Do wild bees need then...no. Do wild bees make a surplus of honey for.me...no.

I am an agriculturist beekeeper who harvests honey, I not a hunter gatherer who hunts honey, therefore my hives have landing boards.

its not about what bees do in the wild, its about what they do as domesticated hives in my apiary.

Landing boards are a necessary part of my bottom boards which set on the ground and the two inch extension helps keep the grass out of the entrance when it hasn't been trimmed in front of for a week or so.

The 2 " landing board extension of the bottom board pallet helps prevent squishing of bearded bees while stacked in rows on decks, by the forklift in particular.... It also ensures space between hive entrances for ventilation, if the row shifts or stacked too tight

Landing board is needed cause thats how the free beescource plans say to build it, that is if you can read a tape measure. I don't know how but I screwed up on a few of them and cut them short enough that I ended up with out a landing board. I didn't throw them away and so I guess on them a landing board is not needed.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I had one with no landing board for a while, I stapled a strip of corregated plastic on from underneath

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Are landing boards really needed on production hives or can a hole drilled in the side do just as good.
    Please define what you mean by "really needed."

For example, humans don't "really need" to keep bees, so in that sense, no, landing boards are not really needed.

My arrangement is shown below, and was chosen because that is what came with the bottom board I chose. The BB was chosen because it was available locally and has a screen system that I liked:

Last edited by shinbone; 02-01-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    --shinbone
    (6th year, 15 hives, Zone 5b, 5500')

Some bees use them, some not.

I like the boards to watch whats going on. They are dark and snow melts on them quickly which provides the bees with water.

If the bees clean out dead ones with mites on them its easy for the mites to go back.

Its easier for predator insects to take the bees from the landing boards than from the wall of the hive.
    Listen to good advice, then.... make your own decision. fusion_power
    www.vivabiene.de

I would not want to work bees on a hot roof in summer even with an ultrabreeze suit. Is this where they stay year round? Do you have issues with heat build up in the hives, bearding etc.

I am thinking your bees are very happy you have landing boards so they can avoid the roofing.

Quote Originally Posted by rolftonbees View Post
    I would not want to work bees on a hot roof in summer even with an ultrabreeze suit. Is this where they stay year round? Do you have issues with heat build up in the hives, bearding etc.

I am thinking your bees are very happy you have landing boards so they can avoid the roofing.
    Indeed - at a "Mile High" here in Denver, our summer time sun is intense. I put on sun shields from June to August. I never see any bearding. What you see in the photo below is crowding at the entrances of well-populated, active hives. For the other 9 months of the year, especially in Winter, the hives benefit by receiving full sun from sunrise to sunset.

--shinbone
    (6th year, 15 hives, Zone 5b, 5500')

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast