Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mouse guards?

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  wadehump 
#1 ·
Is 1/2 inch wire mesh suitable for mouse guards , it looks a little big to me , I am thinking that small mice can set thru.

So far I haven't been able to find any 3/8 mesh locally , just 1/2 or 1/4(too small).

Or maybe I should drill some 3/8 or 5/16 holes in the entrance reducer?

What do you use?

Any input would be appreciated.

Jim.

#6 ·
I use1/2 inch ,, but when I cut it ,I cut so I have the pointed 1/2 inch wire top and bottom ,, I have 3 full squares then the 1/2 inch of pointed wire ,, I bend the wire just a little so if a mouse trys to get in the wire will poke him and tear his skin up then I push in in place with a putty knife ,, never had a mouse in the hive ,, have had mouse tracks on the door step but they never get in

#7 ·
I have always used 1/2 folded to make holes 1/2 wide X 3/8 high. This year I found the perfect material. It is sold at Lowes and home depot. It is aluminum mesh with a diamond hole size of 3/8 X 1/2. It is sold in the cultured stone section and is used to give the mortor something to grip to. It is 5.00 for a 3ft X 8ft pc. I cut it in 2" strips and just staple it over the enterence

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.