Default Crushing SHB's on PF-120 plastic foundation...

Last month I learned that two people in my area had SHB's. Yesterday I found a couple of SHB in one my hives. We were always thankful that we didn't have hive beetles in the area so it's disappointing to discover that they have arrived.

With plastic foundation, jabbing a hive tool down into a cell containing a shb makes a satisfying, little crunching sound.

pf-frames...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Crushing SHB's on PF-120 plastic foundation...

Sorry to hear that you have SHB, lost one hive to them this year. Lost count on how many I have killed they way you discribed and still dont get tired of it.
    I have a homemade tool that made for killing them in the cell, its a simple dow rod (6 inchlong) inserted in a round pice of wood. It fits good in the hand and easy to control when you are aiming at the SHB hiding in cells or corners of frames.

for wax comb, basic tweezers allow for an effective 'crunch' without disturbing the comb.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Y I discovered some this year as well. I was wondering if i should treat or not. So far each look into the hive is only a few here and there. I just been watching and hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post
    So far each look into the hive is only a few here and there. I just been watching and hoping.
    Same thing here. I suspect this may be a by-product of the warm winter last year. Think we may have a cold one this year so hopefully this will beat the range back some. With a nice warm cluster in the hive it will be up to the bees to keep them driven to the outskirts where they can freeze. We'll see. Stocking up on traps now just in case.