Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer - Part II

I like the bike pump set up too.The ball valve on top is a good idea for faster loading. Seems the problem would be to make sure the propane torch doesn't get so hot it burns the acid. Moving it closer or further back might adjust that.
    I like being able to watch from a distance.

The problem with the Heilyser for me is entrance clearance (not enough). So whatever i build will have to deliver from the outside.

I version keeps the heat outside. The compressed air helps circulate the vapor.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10708136/20...2012.26.35.jpgr better.
    BB's Honey
    www.bbshoney.com

Where do you get the aluminum?

Nathan
    Good enough is perfect - Joel Salatin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcKyE...ature=youtu.be this thing is really trowing the vapor and very fast , I see the heat gun but is the metal part between the heat gun and nozzle homemade or is it store bought .

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This is my home made vaporizer

So your using a pipe tee with a cup inside to hold the acid . What stops the force of the heat gun from blowing the acid right out the nozzle . And how long does it take to heat the acid .

I like the designs. Aluminum transfers heat so well it is an ideal material to use for a tray. My biggest problem is my bottom entrances, they are 3/8" high, and my bottom boards extend 2" in front of the hives so even a slim line tray would be difficult to fit in the bottom entrance. So the bicycle pump or something similar blowing oav out of a nozzle/tube would work best for my situation. I hope someone makes a good unit and shares it (with pics) so I can knock one together myself I have made a working model of an enclosed vapor tray with a flattened nozzle but the one problem that I can't engineer into the design is keeping the nozzle hot enough to keep the oav from gradually forming crystals and plugging the end of the nozzle.

laketrout: That has happened to me. The key is to slowly bring the whole apparatus up to a more or less uniform temp. Any apparatus I have made with a nozzle runs the risk of crystallizing and then blowing melted acid, vapor, directly into the hive.
    Last edited by rwurster; 10-13-2014 at 12:15 AM.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I just got a Hellyser and tried it over the weekend. Works very nicely, though I'd prefer a more sturdy handle. Certainly could be made at home if someone has access to the right tools.

I didn't want to use a car battery and was thinking about what else would work (provide 12v, be rechargeable, east to transport). Solution was a 12v power station from Harbor Freight for $45 - a self-contained 12v power source/charger/light/emergency jump starter. Cheap, easy to use, and portable.

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    I didn't want to use a car battery and was thinking about what else would work (provide 12v, be rechargeable, east to transport). Solution was a 12v power station from Harbor Freight for $45 - a self-contained 12v power source/charger/light/emergency jump starter. Cheap, easy to use, and portable.
    They do work great, but I've found that they are only good for treating about +- 9 hives before they are discharged........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver