Default Nectar bound help, my fault

Hi, All!

It will be another month or so before we enter the real Fall here. There are some natural nectar and pollen
    flow outside. I got a bit hasty seeing that the hives do not have enough honey stores. So I fed them for almost 2
    weeks on honey-syrup mixture. Now the hive is back filling up the brood nest. My fault for not inspecting them last week not
    knowing that they had filled up so fast. I'm hoping to get one more round of young bees before going into the winter here as they are low
    on young bees now. I do not have enough empty comb for them to fill anymore. These Cordovan are as advertised, low consumption and fast
    honey maker. They are on 6 frame nucs right now.
    What is the best solution to my situation when I want the queens to lay some more? Any workable suggestions appreciated.
    I luv bee source!

Default Re: Nectar bound help, my fault

I am kind of green, so take this suggestion as just a wild idea.

I would think in your area you could just move the hive into deeps.

You may need to extract a frame or two from each hive and save this extracted syrup to feed back to them later when needed.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

if there are so many bees that they are bearding on the front, give them another brood box, if not overly full with bees, I wouldn't worry about them.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    These Cordovan are as advertised, low consumption and fast
    honey maker.
    They don't brood up like Italians. If the bees don't raise brood they collect nectar if it is available. See how fast a queenless hive makes honey. If you look at honey production over all the Italian hive produces the most honey and is a gentle bee. That is why the Italian race of bees is most popular. Is it your fault because you didn't inspect or is it your fault because you feed a frugal race of bees?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    They don't brood up like Italians. If the bees don't raise brood they collect nectar if it is available. See how fast a queenless hive makes honey. If you look at honey production over all the Italian hive produces the most honey and is a gentle bee. That is why the Italian race of bees is most popular. Is it your fault because you didn't inspect or is it your fault because you feed a frugal race of bees?
    The Cordovans aren't a race, they are a specific COLOR of Italian bees. Acebird, I think you're thinking of Carniolan.

Beepro, do you have other hives which might need the nectar/syrup resources who can donate some empty combs? Or a beekeeping friend who might switch with you? Just adding frames of foundation probably won't work, you would need drawn comb like you mentioned. Or the advice to extract some of the combs may be your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Jackson View Post
    Acebird, I think you're thinking of Carniolan.
    OOPs you are right.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Both my fault for feeding too much and not checking the hives inside sooner for back filling. Combined there is an early Fall flow
    going on now. I was thinking we were still in the summer dearth at a time intersection of the end of summer and starting of the Fall.
    So I feed them too much when there are natural source out there. They are bringing in grayish pollen so not know what flowers
    they are from. So now I have to borrow the drawn comb if he still has them since the beginning of last Fall I put them there. If not then
    I will extract the frames for sure. All my hives are nectar/honey bound now so no more room to distribute these nectar frames. They
    are all going strong on the harvest now. Who said nucs do not produce any honey, huh. And not bearding either because with little force of
    foragers they collect like crazy. It is the morale of the Cordovan I think without a mite infestation and a newly mated summer queen.
    Since they have been eating the nectar they are even stronger in flight. I think the next year I will buy some more queens and start grafting my
    own from this genetics too. Thanks all!
    I luv bee source!

I would leave them alone...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...