Default Honey Bound, should I worry?

My hive has pretty much back filled its entire (and only) large brood box with honey. I think they went queenless for just a bit a couple months ago and in the queens absence I think they just got carried away with honey production. I did add a medium super later in the season when they had filled their large body about 80% but for the life of me they wouldn't move into it. There is also a few capped supercedure queen cells but I did find my queen looking to lay eggs in some half built comb that I moved to the medium super.

Should I be worried at this point? It's late in the season but I'd expect them to keep working another month or two here in Socal. Days are still easily in the 80s.

Thanks all!

Default Re: Honey Bound, should I worry?

They need clustering space , do you have any extra frames with drawn comb that is empty ? if you do switch out a frame for them to cluster in . i was told that it is more important for them to have space to cluster in empty cells then to have over abundance of food stores. and you need good ventilation too. But i am a new beekeeper and i am trying my best to learn as i go : )

Check out Mike Palmers videos on overwintering .

Good luck

Ben

Thanks Ben.

I also just got started, and sadly started with a large box, and have sense decided to move to mediums. Long Story short though, I don't have any undrawn comb. I did just pick up a swarm and put them in a box today so if they manage to start drawing comb maybe I can trade some comb for some honey.

I still have an empty super on top though but no comb yet, and no forward progress either.

you can always feed the bees the honey , just scratch off the cappings and they will go to it ! you will have nice open cells after a while. it will make them draw comb easier as well with honey rather than giving them 2:1 sugar syrup.
    Does the swarm have a lot of bees? if not you should combine them and have 1 very strong hive OR you can make them into a double Nuc and overwinter them side by side. you will have to make the deep box divider and also divide the bottom board , so the queens won't reach each other and put a queen excluder on the box and put a super of honey on top. it's better to have them going up then going out from what i understand. It's more natural for them and you have enough honey to do what you need to do, but you have to get on top of it soon !!! winter is coming and the colder it get the less wax they will make.

But i am telling you what i have been told, so someone else will have something different to tell you i'm sure, at least that is what i get when i put up a post. LOL it's good to have variety in suggestions i guess.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by codyjp View Post
    I did add a medium super later in the season when they had filled their large body about 80% but for the life of me they wouldn't move into it.
    Run it as a 1 1/2 and they will move up into the medium when they need it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What is a 1 1/2?
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-10-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: UNQuote

I think it is what you describe as having, a deep super with medium upper brood chamber.That is a common commercial combination.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-10-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Yes, that's what I have going on. I'm finding it a total annoyance though so I'm going to somehow devise a plan to filter out the deep frames for mediums with an end goal to switch the lower super to a medium box.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-10-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: unq