Hybrid View

Default Queen Bee Cells but No Queen Now?

I very recently captured a swarm and relocated them into a new hive box. I transferred much of the brood and honey comb to the new box (after they had been in the nuc for 3 days (screened in). While transferring the frames with comb, I noticed 2 queen bee cells but didn't see the queen in the swarm. If she never made the transfer, is it possible one of the new queens will emerge and be queen to the hive or do I need to order a new queen? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Queen Bee Cells but No Queen Now?

just give it time the emerging queens have warm enough weather to mate. if there are queen cells the swarm was there a while and sometimes the queen is a runner and she will not let you find her remember feed feed feed

I just reloaded their sugar syrup diet. Thanks for the advice.

If they are a new swarm and they made queen cells, they are either without a queen or they superceded her in one hello of a hurry. Place your bets on the new queen cells. It is far too late in the season for them to honey up for the winter - they would have been doomed if you had not rescued them. Feeding them is correct - liquid (1 part purified water and 2 parts pure cane sugar in the winter) unless it freezes - then give them a fondant board and get the liquid out of there. Give them a pollen patty, too, and treat new swarms for both kinds of mites and nosema. Best of Luck!

Thanks for the info. I also saw at least 2 small hive beetles in the nuc box after transferring the hive. Not sure what to do about that yet since I'm very new at this beekeepeing hobby. It does get down below freezing here in south central Texas in the winter but usually not for more than 2 or 3 days. Our average winter is generally mild.

By they way, when I transferred the hive from the nuc box, the existing comb now occupies 6 of the 8 frames in the hive box. The 2 remaining frames have wax coated black plastic foundations. Would it be advisable to add a shallow super or another deep before winter? Thanks again.