Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A ***** in my armor. But it could have been worse.

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Splatt 
#1 ·
Winterizing my bees, they found a spot in my veil where they could sting my chin (I think the veil was folded up against my skin -- they also stung me through my jeans). They are good at exploiting weaknesses.

Fortunately, they did not notice that my fly was down.

#3 ·
heh, good laugh at that. Bet he learned his lesson. I had bees get in my veil once, luckily they just wanted out so I calmly walked away, removed it and let them out. Sometimes I'll wear shorts, but I think I'm going to stick with my baggy work out pants, dual layers.

#4 ·
No matter how calm they are, bees sting if they get squeezed or trapped somehow and squashed. The only times I got stung this year were when I trapped a bee and mashed it, either between me and a super or by bending over and getting one pinched between my belly and my belt or under the bottom of my shorts.

Last year I had a few go right for my face when I foolishly didn't wear a veil. Don't make that mistake anymore.

Peter

#6 ·
To wear a veil or not in my mind is based on the bees. My hives are all very calm and as long as the weather is good I don't need to wear anything to just pop the top and have a look see, but to inspect / pull frames I always have a veil on. I have a friend that started beekeeping with a nuc this year and his hives I wouldn't even pop the top off without a veil. When I was there I did pop the top and had one girl follow us around the shed letting us know that we wern't welcome. She just wouldn't go away!!! (two grown men running from 1 little bee!!!) For me this year all of my stings without exception were from me squishing a bee or something. When you're trying to go fast and just do a quick job it's hard to keep track of all of the bees and I will squish one and she won't be happy and will let me know. Last night it was cold here and I needed to fill the feeders on top and I didn't see one bee on the side of the jar and she let me know. Thankfully it isn't that big of a deal at this point. It only slightly hurts and I don't remember about it w/in an hour or so after.

#7 ·
Have a mosquito net that you can buy for less than $5 in camping supplies and a hat with a bit of a brim. And a pair of long cuffed heavy household cleaning gloves. Very quick and easy protection.

Do your top shirt button up, flip up the collar, put on hat and mosquito net and the gloves for minor inspections. NO hard stings for the season. Had a few minor stings through shirt sleaves and denim jeans.

#8 ·
Knocked over a pair of hives when bushhogging. Had a veil and coat on so the little darlings went right for the tight pants around the crotch. Itched like the devil for about a week. Looked like a real idiot walking around with my hand down the front of my pants scratching!

#9 ·
Delber, my bees are pretty good. I probably don't even need a veil when inspecting but I find it really helps deter any bees that get defensive. They hit the veil and give up really quick as they can't get to my face. Usually I don't even get bothered. Both times I got stung I was just watching the hive but ended up doing something at the entrance (like smashing ants) or standing in front of the hive at some point. Spring time I could pop the top no problems, now bees come pouring out as soon as I crack it so I always wear a veil. They're not too aggressive but I figure I don't need one brave been zapping me in the face again. Wearing my veil at all times now really lets me relax more too. I don't have to worry about that one bee always buzzing me or butting me that happens on occasion. I just use the $11.00 mann lake one that fits over a brimmed hat.

#10 ·
Delber.... My bees are also very calm, and I had the same mind set as you. Three years ago I was working the bees, everything was going great and one of the ladies decided I was no longer welcome and she made her point in no uncertain terms. I got stung right under the eye just below the lower lash, it was swollen shut for 2 days and black and blue for a week. Now I always wear at least the veil they are stinging insects and they generally go right for the face when the urge stikes them. Just not worth the risk.

#11 ·
With my reaction to stings, I have to completely suit up. Once I was helping a friend completely take down two three-deep hives, We had bees everywhere, and one found a gap in the cuff of my pant leg. Fortunately the damage was limited to my upper calf. Another time I had another one take a shot at me though my hood, but she didn't get all the way through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.