Hybrid View

Exclamation Varroa screened bottom board & treatment with MAQS - clarification on how to do it

I have a screened Varroa bottom board and will be treating with MAQS.

Do I need to remove the entrance reducer when treating? OR, just leave the screen open to the air by removing the plastic drawer insert while keeping the entrance reducer in place?

In other words, do I need to remove the entrance reducer (as the treatment calls for), or is the screened bottom enough opening for airflow?

I would appreciate any help I can get on this issue...

Thanks!

Lori

Default Re: Varroa screened bottom board & treatment with MAQS - clarification on how to do i

I am pretty sure it's put in the white board and do not have the entrance reducer on. If you leave the screened bottom completely open without the whiteboard you probably won't get an effective treatment. The entrance reducer needs to be removed to provide ventilation. Mark

Default Re: Varroa screened bottom board & treatment with MAQS - clarification on how to do i

YES! That is exactly what I chose to do! I just got both hives completed with the white plastic board in and the entrance reducers off. Those gel pads are sure fragile!!!

Thanks for your input!

Lori

Glad it worked for you. Mark was right on track; I would've said the same thing.