Smile registering a business

Good day i am looking for information on registering my beekeeping business. I live in Nova Scotia Canada , and i am registering the business Name with Joint stocks and after that the business itself.

Sooo i am wondering if some of the seasoned beekeepers could shed some light on the subject of what steps i should take ? please : )

is registering as a farm different , or something you do later as you make a profit, because our government wants a profit of at least 10,000. before they will give you a farm registration with plates for your vehicle ect..

This would be very much appreciated

Thank you very much

Ben

Default Re: registering a business

no one is replying probably because the rules are so different for different places.The following is what I did in Florida.Yours will be different but this might give you a starting point.
    Register hives with the state
    Apply for local business license....about 30 dollars here
    Apply for state sales tax certificate/license
    That is it as far as start up is concerned.
    If you grow beyond your back yard a tax cpa/preparer is a good idea.

Thanks ! I figured the Canadian beekeepers might respond to it, but oh well. I will do it one way or another. I have already registered before getting hives this past May, but i am building up a bunch of customers and a farm that wants to sell my honey as well. too bad i didn't have a bunch of honey to sell, i only got 125 lbs this year, which was more than i thought i would get , considering the were 4 frame nucs and 1 nuc wasn't doing well with the queen provided. i have split 4 times and they all seem good.

Next year i have BIG plans and can't wait, I absolutely Love doing this and it has my eyes wide open to things i never would have noticed or cared about before, such as all the chemicals going into food production and fake honey and how important bees really are to the world and lots of other stuff.

Ben

are you talking about setting up a company?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

well it's a sideline business that will offer pollination and honey ect.

I mean, your talking about registering, are you formally setting up a company?
    I do not understand what your original question is?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ben i think you need 10k gross for farm plates and fuel. Why do you need a name? You already have a name.

well i sometimes don't expain things very well . so this is basically what is going on.
    I am setting up a business account with the Bank. in order to do that i need to have a registered business name.
    so i guess my main concern is , what steps after registering the business/farm name should i take ? the small business account manager at the bank talks to me like i did this a hundred times.
    i did send off the registration to joint stocks and they have my farm name "The Little Bee Farm" as reserved , so i guess he meant that i need to register the name which has a fee and then go into register the business itself with all the signatures ect. I have no idea if i am doing something wrong , because i never done this before. If i am treating it as a business don't i have to do this stuff to keep it legal?

Thanks for your patience

Ben

No problem i won't ask anything like this again, i didn't know it would upset someone.

please forgive me for this

Ben

Now, don't go doing that, the "problem" has been taken care of. Please continue.
    Regards, Barry

Ben my language wasnt directed towards you, I slipped a bad word within the ramblings of my reply
    Ill try to re iterate what I was trying to say to you
    www.stepplerfarms.com

What I would like to suggest to you is you do not need to have a registered name to run a business nor do you need one to borrow money,
    As a proprietor your using your name, and everything you do and own is channeled under your name.
    If you set up a company (get a corporate number), your business runs as a separate entity, and you file completely separately from your own personal affairs. That number is given to you from the government, usually channeled through a lawyer.
    Thats all there is to it. I have been in business for quite a while and I have never has to register with a broker (joint stocks?) to set up a business account with the bank. Your not making any sense. You have to file for a business number from the government. They are the only ones who care and control this.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I think I understand where you're coming from. The bank will want a registered business name for your sole proprietorship if you are trying to open a business account with them. If you really want a registered business name it costs somewhere around $150 and can be done on the service Canada website. The only real advantage to doing this is that you'll be able to cash checks made out to that business name instead of just Ben Little. I should also note that's the only advantage I've found to a business account as all of the associated usage fees are much higher, you might consider opening a second personal account if you just want your expenses separated just don't tell them it's for a business. Hopefully that helps

The bank has no requirement for a separate business name when running a business as a proprietor. I know this for a fact, because in regards to holding security on a the business lending, they have the individual sign a general security agreement which covers all personal and business assets.
    The need to make up a registered name would only be in the interests of the individual himself.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Maybe your getting confused with the need to get a GST number (business number) from the government. As a proprietor you will need this number to collect back your GST annually. And you will use this number when filing your farm income taxes.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Thanks for the information. yes i was concerned over the requirements of filling taxes under my own name VS a business name. I actually work at a family business my grandfather started in 1965 and my dad said he is the business and has to file his taxes as if he earned all the money because he's a sole proprietor. so i am getting the picture now.. Also if i want to have a business name to use i have to register it with joint stocks, i found that out on a nova scotia government site, But i don't have to register "like you said" to be a farm, and just use my own name as the farm name.

I didn't see the message you sent, i just thought maybe i was out of line. no hard fellings Ian , I can be thick sometimes : )

Thanks

Ben

no no, I used a curse within my casual conversation, and thats against the rules here. No exceptions no considerations. I have to speak with a clean mouth. My fault, and not directed towards you.
    I was speaking a bit of French, thats all
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I understand what your saying now.
    Ya, like your grandfather, Id say the easiest thing to do is keep your business under your name, run it with a slang name if you want, but have all dealings file under your own name. Before I started a company (filed for a corporate #) I labeled all my honey as Steppler Honey farms, but all my business was done under my name.
    But you have already filed to hold a business name, so that will work great!
    I got confused with when you mentioned the bank required you to have a registered business name. But I think what they meant is you have to register that name before you can do business under it.
    Clear as mud now.
    Last edited by Ian; 10-11-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    www.stepplerfarms.com