Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Crepe Myrtle for Bees?

12K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jdmidwest 
#1 ·
Does anyone plant Crepe Myrtle for bees?

Dad has several out at the farm and the wild bees were working them like crazy a few weeks ago. I picked some seed and plan on starting a few around the house. They bloom late and fill the void for late summer/early fall.

#9 ·
I have a white and a red crepe myrtle. The honey bees go to both of them. I always thought bees did not hit red flowers because the cannot see red, however I get as many on the red as the white and they are about 100 yards apart, so it is not because of proximity.

#15 ·
Best results for rooting Crape Myrtle comes in January or February. Cut off the long straight shoots that come from the base of the tree and plant about 6 to 12 inches deep. Nursery growers do this straight into the rows of soil. Rooting hormone will help. I have seen commercial growers using shoots 8 to 10 feet long.

#16 ·
It is the most planted shrub in OKC because of the long bloom (all summer) and the fact that they are bulletproof, there are thousands of them with in 2 miles of me, however I have only seen bees work them for pollen. If they work them for nectar I have never witnessed it. It is, on the other hand, a great shrub for catching swarms, my bees love to swarm into mine.

#17 ·
I dug up a few roots last week when I was out at the farm. They are already sprouting in the pots I planted them in our kitchen. I will put them out in the spring.

I saved some seed, but have not planted them. One thing we noticed, there were not seeds sprouting up near the main plant. Obviously harder to start them from seed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.