Thread: Hello from TX

Default Hello from TX

Hi,

I am new to bee keeping and will be attending my first bee keeping class in a couple of weeks. I reside in the great state of TX, town of Poetry. 32 years old, veteran, and married. I look forward to learning more about this wonderful world of bees.

Take Care

Andrew

Default Re: Hello from TX

Welcome Andrew, you will learn a lot here at this site, there are a lot of good people here.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Welcome Andrew. Good to start with a class, should save you about one million wrong turns!
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Welcome Andrew!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hello

I am also a newbie to this hobby and will be atending a course next spring. I'll try and everything ready before then, so I can get up and runing as soon as possible in 2013.

I live in the north east of England, so the summer isn't too long. I am lucky though, there is a well known expert on the hobby, who lives in my town. he keeps bees at home and says damp can cause problems, rather than cold.

Hopefully I'll be OK

Hello, fellow Texas. I'm in Spicewood.

Sondra

anybody out there have africanized bees ( killer bees ) I have two one in my shop wall and one in the eave, should I kill them are save them.

How do you know for sure they're Africanized?

Thumbs Up Welcome Bee McGee :)

I'd recommend Metrobeekeepers. I think they meet next Monday.

More important for a new person would be their Club outing to visit member's hives this Saturday. Contact Stan Key (info at the link above) to get the particulars.
    Last edited by Lburou; 10-05-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Default Re: Welcome Bee McGee :)

On the back of the house in the eave they have been there for at least 3 years. I was mowing and they went wild and I also got stung had to put on my bee suit now to mow, they also will follow you for a very long way before they give up.
    The ones in my shop wall have been there for about 3 months and act the same way. I set about 4 feet from the wall and never bothered them however they were all around me and trying to sting me so also walk a very long way before they gave up.
    When I was growing up Dad had honey bees and we could go up to them and they would not sting you and we had no bee suits, also with these I used my smoker on them and that only made them madder.
    I do not won’t to kill them, because I run a farm called SIX MILE PIC-N-PAC PRODUCE and the bees pollinate the vegetable plants.
    I noticed they are getting meaner by the day and I know there only trying to protect their hive.
    I have read were they replacing the queen with a good queen and that does not work.
    I have built my own bee hives, bee vac, supers, and broads and have bee suit, and smoker.
    I’m going to get them into the hive and see what happens. . I was told here in Texas there are no more good bee’s there all Africanized bees what do you say about that.

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderbuzzsaw View Post
    anybody out there have africanized bees ( killer bees ) I have two one in my shop wall and one in the eave, should I kill them are save them.
    Alexander, you will have more responses to your question about those bees if you start a thread in the bee forum.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

You're going to try and hive them and requeen? Please keep us posted.

I know quite a few beeks in the area who say their bees are nice as can be. Mine included, which, BTW, are from B Weaver out of Navasota, and are part Africanized. You might try a queen or two from them. They apparently don't have any now, but will soon.

Thanks I will check with them