Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Wax moth worms didn't die

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  kellymt 
#1 ·
We got some frames from a guy and noticed the webbing and a few worms. So we froze the frames in the freezer for 5 days. Then moved them in a bag out to the shed. When I looked today at the frames, there was a live worm! So thinking freezing doesn't kill all eggs. What else might work, or should we burn the frames?
Thanks for any advice!

#4 ·
eggs are on the small side and also contain very little water. You need a good strong freeze to kill them. A freezer barely running at 32 or something will freeze stuff, but if you put them on the top or something probably didn't get cold enough to totally freeze everything solid. I've had fruit flies come out of the freezer alive after 24 hours or so (the adults). None of them survived 48.

#8 ·
It sounds like the lesser wax moth is what we have. I did notice the pinkish color. Thanks for the info. We have kept the frames in a bag away from our hives and will take care of them in the morning. It has been in the 20's here for the last few mornings. And the days are getting really short. Time for preparing for winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.