Hybrid View

Default Pigeon Mountain vented jacket

I hate my jacket! It is some cooler than my Kelleys 25 pch cotton jacket. However, the zippers are a pain in the patuska! First you have to hope you can get the front of the jacket zipped because it has fuzz to interfere, a very stiff heavy duty zipper. Then flip up the hood, find the right side of the hood zipper, struggle to get it all the way around. Then find the left side of hood zipper bring it all the way around past the right side, all the while fighting the velcro fastener that keeps the bees out. Always light your smoker before donning the jacket because it's material will melt from heat. I really have no problem with the quality of the product, just the design.
    Does anyone make a simple pullover design with the hood attached? I can inspect one hive in the time it takes me to don the PM jacket. I really don't think it is worth the effort for the small amount of breeze that you feel in the vented jacket. I would buy a vented slipover jacket but I'm fed up with zippers!!! Oh, and I have been stung thru the PM jacket, but never thru the cotton jacket, go figure. The design I like is @ www.kelleybees.com. Item #25pch.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Default Re: Pigeon Mountain vented jacket

I've been rather pleased with my jacket from Mann Lake ( http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...s/page110.html ). It's thick enough that I'm very rarely stung through the jacket (maybe once when I had it stretched tight against my skin?) and while it's a bit hotter than I'd prefer, that's beekeeping for you!

I basically zip up the front, zip both sides of the veil, check the velcro, and I'm all set -- about what you're looking for. Once or twice, I had to fumble with the suit for a bit when velcro/zippers somehow got tangled up, but overall donning the suit is something I don't notice.

I haven't tried any other suits or jackets though, so I can't give you a comparison, just a suggestion.

Default Re: Pigeon Mountain vented jacket

There are several people selling quality protective equipment. My point is the design of a pullover jacket with a permanent attached hood/veil to me is the quickest and easiest way to don the jacket. I know that you can't wash the jacket in a washing machine because of the attached hood/veil. After 2 years my Kelleys jacket is rather dirty, but the bees really don't care. As far as an odor, just light your smoker first and you will never smell it, LOL. So, my question still is does anyone make a vented pullover jacket. I would buy one because it gets rather hot here some summer days. 115*+ heat index!
    So much to learn, so little time!!