Question Condensation under the cover

Checked my feeding jars this morning and noticed dripping condensation under the cover. My hive is in Missouri where it was about 38 degrees last night and just in upper 40s this morning. It is sunny and bees are out a little. I am using the screen bottom board. Is condensation normal? This is my first hive and first winter.

Default Re: Condensation under the cover

I'm in MO also, just on the eastern edge. You may need to provide a little bit of top ventilation opening so that moisture can escape. I usually put a thin stick, sliver of mulch, or something about 3/8" thick on top of the back edge of the innercover's lip, then set the outer cover on it - so the outer cover is shimmed up just slightly at the back. With your screened bottom boards, that'll provide plenty of "through" ventilation. And if it is "too much" ventilation, the bees seem to seal up what isn't necessary.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

Default Re: Condensation under the cover

Quote Originally Posted by jrshay View Post
    Checked my feeding jars this morning and noticed dripping condensation under the cover. My hive is in Missouri where it was about 38 degrees last night and just in upper 40s this morning. It is sunny and bees are out a little. I am using the screen bottom board. Is condensation normal? This is my first hive and first winter.
    i would probably take the feeder off. i have read that they can't consume it if the syrup is below 50 degrees. plus, it will be making it colder inside the hive.

worse, if that condensation drips down on the bees it could kill them.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf