Default Good queen or weak queen?

I started new hive in August with a brand new queen. Added brood at that time and all seemed well. Yesterday I checked the hive. Queen looked healthy, but the brood pattern is spotty, actually very spotty. I know hives reduce their numbers in fall for winter. Is this pattern a result of the queen simply laying less or do I have a bad queen?

Default Re: Good queen or weak queen?

Questions need answered.When you put brood in how many bees did you put in the hive? Off the top of my head yes they do slow down but if you don't have enough bees to keep the brood warm my experience is they do just what you say.

The hive could be on the light side. Had not intended to begin a new hive so late - but thats another story. If I add more bees will it help?

How are the pollen stores in the hive? September and October are pollen feeding months where I'm at. Lack of pollen will cause spotty and diminishing brood.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

That is what I would do is add bees if there is not very many bees in the hive and that will probably know in 2 weeks. Good Luck