Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Spin Float Seperators

There is no better seperator than the spin float. The new ones seperate much better than the old ones. I have had both. Get the electronic speed control. Mount a second spray nozzle inside pointed directly at the wax cake and your wax will come out like saw dust. Put the wax in a container with tiny holes in the bottom to drain off any excess liquid. I don't have to pull the drum all season since bought a new one. Invest in a drum puller. Save you from a broken arm.

I agree with about cleaning once a season with the new spring floats.

Curious about the second nozzle, how far from the wax cake did you mount it?

Thanks

I also have a second nozzle just on the other side of the rubber flap. one reason I run the water only when its cutting, to prevent to much moisture in the honey.

theres a place to mount the second nozzle right next to the first one. just take out the plug and install it

Finally went and took a look at the nozzle setup on my spin float. I see that adding a second nozzle to the T would be very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidsbees View Post
    You reach in where the wax falls out. You need to make sure the knives screwed back. Don't lub the machine to much it as bad as not lubing enough. I lub once a year. I rebuilt the spin float in the mid 80's.
    I am pulling this old post back up from a search I was doing.

To update, I have bought a spin float and ran it for one season now. It is the best honeyhouse investment I have made.

Reading through this old post and noticed a comment from David... how the heck to you reach in and clean the drum??? LOL you must be more agile than I
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

A while back someone posted a pic of a catch pan they made up that went under the spinner to catch the wax. I would be interested in seeing that pic again.
    I want to make something that will help keep the area around the unit clean! Also when things in the honeyhouse go wrong and the spinner is turned off..., it would be nice to have a pan under to catch the honey and drain into a holding tub so that its not wasted on the floor...

I have plumbed in a solenoid which only runs the knife cooling water when the pump is actually cutting, wired to my honey pump. That was a great tip!
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Interesting post by David about lubrication. The new machines have labels on them stating (I think) they should be lubricated every 40 hours. We give all the bearings a couple grease pumps per week. They have been trouble free but then it's just been 2 seasons. Is there really a downside to too much lubrication?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

If the bearings are sealed, then the grease would just be towards the outer collar, so too much is not an issue. If they are sealed bearings
    www.stepplerfarms.com

This is what you might be looking for Ian. I put deflectors on the side as well to direct wax into the pan and have the pan sloped towards the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pat at C&B cautioned me about over lubing a bearing and you can just google it. I raised my spinner 10" and bolted it to a 3/4" plate that I anchored to the floor. image.jpgimage.jpg
    David
    beebotanical.com 40 years-4000 colonies-treatment eo's

Thanks guys

a curtain is a good idea
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Martens View Post
    This is what you might be looking for Ian. I put deflectors on the side as well to direct wax into the pan and have the pan sloped towards the back.
    That is what I am going to make.

This spin float is extremely effective at separating wax from honey, but the machine itself is extremely cumbersome...
    www.stepplerfarms.com

We use a window squeegee to pull the wax into a container. In a power failure honey can all be saved. I am thinking of putting one more deflector vertically along the left front leg. Usually not much of a wax mess now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Thanks guys

a curtain is a good idea
    Yes, what David did is pretty much exactly what we have been talking about doing....but have never done. We just slide a large storage type tote under it which catches maybe 90% and do a thorough hot water spray at the end of each day.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

[QUOTE=Ian;1226331]A while back someone posted a pic of a catch pan they made up that went under the spinner to catch the wax. I would be interested in seeing that pic again.
    I want to make something that will help keep the area around the unit clean! Also when things in the honeyhouse go wrong and the spinner is turned off..., it would be nice to have a pan under to catch the honey and drain into a holding tub so that its not wasted on the floor...

I have plumbed in a solenoid which only runs the knife cooling water when the pump is actually cutting, wired to my honey pump. That was a great tip![/QUOTE

What did you use for the solenoid? I used fridge type and it didnt last very long

[QUOTE=Brian Suchan;1226923]
    A while back someone posted a pic of a catch pan they made up that went under the spinner to catch the wax. I would be interested in seeing that pic again.

I have plumbed in a solenoid which only runs the knife cooling water when the pump is actually cutting, wired to my honey pump. That was a great tip![/QUOTE

What did you use for the solenoid? I used fridge type and it didnt last very long
    I used a refrigerator unit as well. Worked perfectly this past year, I don't know why there would be a longevity issue with them.

Bought it from my plumber, cost $50, had to plumb it down from inch pipe fitting

Bought it from my plumber, cost $50, had to plumb it down from inch pipe fitting
    Lots of options here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#water-solenoid-valves/=w3g4yx
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

OK, I am feeling stupid here. What changed? Back in the late 60's, ours had a deflector cone, and sat high enough to fit a 55 gallon drum underneath. When it was full, you slid it out and slid in a new one. Are the new units lower to the ground? From memory, the top of the drum was almost 8 feet off the ground, with just enough room to pull the drum once in the fall.

Crazy Roland