Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Flatbed Build Ideas

Designing a new flatbed for an F550. It is going to be a 8x15. I have got a pretty good idea on what I want but I am looking for ideas or suggestions based on what works for yall. The rear end of the bed is the only thing that I really don't have much of a plan for. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Flatbed Build Ideas

Some idea of what you are planning might help. For instance, are you building your flatbed out of wood, steel, or aluminum? Minimal budget, or do you have 25K to put into it?
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

I should have mentioned. It will be steel. I have a guy down here that will build it for around 5k assuming the design doesn't get to complicated or have a ton of material. Really need some input on rear end design.

Make it 102 inches wide, including the rub rails. Make the deck wooden or a wood like composite. Tool boxes. Both sides. A pintle hitch well secured to the frame. A 5 foot tall expansion metal head board.

Wait a minute. 3rd generation? Don't you already have a bunch of examples to go by?
    Let America Be America Again http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Hugh...-Again1938.htm
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler91 View Post
    I should have mentioned. It will be steel. I have a guy down here that will build it for around 5k assuming the design doesn't get to complicated or have a ton of material. Really need some input on rear end design.
    Bring your banding rail around the back to attach front to back straps. Also a heavy rod on top of the front "headache rack" to hook straps to as well. Be sure to get "D" rings on the back on either side of your receiver to attach tow chains and brake pull off.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

This is what I have so far. The drivers side will have a smoker box mounted in the back where the spare tire is on the other side. That is the only difference between the sides.

The guy that builds the beds down here has sort of a standard. A lot of writing in the pictures is making changes to his design. Disregard it. I know the pictures are hard to read.

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0172[1].jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wood deck, keeps things from sliding around

Wooden deck, lots of tie down hooks for ropes.

If you go the wooden route make sure to have it made to match up with dimensional soft lumber.

1.) Buy the wood for the deck well ahead of time and stand it up somewhere outdoors to dry for several weeks, mine wasn't completely dried when I screwed it to the bed frame and it shrunk considerably leaving gaps between the planks.
    2.) make sure to use fasteners for the wood that are rated for use with ACQ treated lumber, like ceramic-coated. The new treated lumber is highly corrosive to steel. Not like the old arsenic stuff.
    3.) for the marker lights, go with 3/4" LED lights, they are DOT legal and really slick, not expensive either, I got them from Terminal Man Inc in wisconsin but probably available here in FL.

I have a wood deck on my Dodge right now and I really like it. I am giving this some thought now. I figured since the F550 has a beefy spring stack that it would bounce without the extra weight of the steel.

I have never had rope hooks but I am considering them now. How far apart should I space them. Every 12"?

Who is making it in Florida?
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler91 View Post
    How far apart should I space them. Every 12"?
    Every 8"

Take a couple of pallets or whatever you will primarily be hauling, lay them om the bed at the shop and have your guy make a chalk mark at the exact places you want rope hooks. Also You might want to consider making the banding rail with built in stake pockets that will accommodate a standard 2x4.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

When I built a flatbed I used something like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/WeatherSh...5-16/100078245

Things slide a lot less on the wood than on smooth steel... The T&G keeps it flat (keeps them from cupping and warping so much) and while it may shrink and leave cracks, the cracks don't go all the way through... If your intent is to haul hives, I'd design it with those dimensions in mind and an edge to keep them from sliding off the edge (at least the bottom box...).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I had a wooden one built this year and it works fine, no sliding and very inexpensive, I'm sure it isn't going to last as long as steel but I can replace boards as I need to and it easily hold 64 hives on pallets

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...ages_video_set
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Ben, the truck looks real nice. good job.

that size set up would be perfect for me down here. one load, no matter what I had to do.
    how long is that bed?

18.5' long, leaves room on the end for messing with straps on the last load of pallets. Works good for what I paid for it.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Thanks. I remember when you were shopping for a truck.
    Seems like you made the right decision and it sure looks
    like you're in the game now. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Who is making it in Florida?
    Laron down in Zolfo at Patterson Welding. Didn't he build your Swinger trailer? I have seen several of his beds on various beekeeper's trucks and I really liked his work.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast