Default Fall comb drawing

Has anyone had any luck getting their bees to draw comb this time of the year? I was thinking of feeding them some 1:1 to see if it would get them started. I have some nucs that are getting over filled with nectar and pollen and hardley any room left for the queen to lay. I am also afraid if I do give them 1:1 they will just try to store it and then she will have less room. I have no empty comb to give the nucs. It is still in the upper 70s here in the day and 50s at night. What would you do, I dont need any late swarms.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Default Re: Fall comb drawing

Bees will draw comb good up to the frist hard frost

My bees only draw comb during a natural nectar flow. Feeding syrup then helps them draw it more quickly. Feeding syrup this time of year, for me, only results in existing cells filled with sugar-honey. Overfeeding now can result in all the cells in the hive, including brood cells, being filled….and that can be a problem.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Stick the frame(s) right in the middle of the broodnest for best results. This time of year it might be hard though. If your bees are still brooding, they might draw it out. If they don't draw it out quickly, I'd remove it, especially if temps drop and they shutdown brood.

I started last year in august, with 1 hive and 4 nucs, and I didn't start feeding syrup for at least a month and they made some comb, but not more than they could cover or fill really. There were unfilled combs in the hive, but they had what they needed stored etc, but then I live I Arizona where it's mild in winter, comparatively to some locations.
    The fellow I bought the nucs from told me to get em into full hives and start feeding them so they would build comb for next year after i bought them from him. I wait till thanksgiving and buy sugar on sale and feed them, but that's probably too late for most of you guys. even mine were slower, way slower by then at building comb, but I had two boxes of 4 lb sugar pkgs this year, so we're set without additional purchases, and the tea is sweet 'round here too

BTW Some say to spray Honey b healthy on your comb and the bees may start building faster. I tried it and didn't notice and difference with or without, but they do enjoy eating it off... but temps and such may make a bigger difference in your location

@beemandan - up here in MN, is it really possible to feed too much? My bees have been going through about a quart of 2:1 every week. Once it gets too cold I will be switching to fondant. The colony was/is fairly small, only one deep, but my goal is to get them through the winter. I am not worried about them running out of space right now, but if we have a mild winter like last year, will they draw comb before they have a source of pollen with all the syrup I have been feeding?
    www.autonomyacres.com Discussions on Urban Homesteading