Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smart Phone Questions

I hate carrying a cellphone, and I have never texted. I am reluctantly thinking that at some point I need to take the plunge and get a smart phone with a data plan. Are there any tech savy beekeepers out there who have any advice about what phone/plans I should get. If I'm going to do this, I'd like a good phone with a decent plan for a decent price. I'm all ears.

Default Re: Smart Phone Questions

I like the iPhone since I'm a Mac guy. Integrates well with my laptop. I hate AT&T, but since the phone was free and it was an AT&T service phone, I didn't have a choice. Seems like Verizon has better service. I spend right around $100 per month. There are no decent plans. They're all obscene!
    Regards, Barry

+1 for the iPhone . I added free mobile to mobile and use very few minutes.

I get free M to M and unused minutes roll over to next month. Since most of my calls are to other cell phones, the voice part of the package price is nothing. Your data plan is where the cost is.
    Regards, Barry

I love my iPhone and Verizon service but all things equal sounds like the droids are every bit their equal. Like Barry, I am a Mac guy and the phone integrates so well with my desk top and iPad. The people that write those plans have figured a way to wring every last penny out of you though. I pay $280 a month for a 3 phone family plan with unlimited data and 10 times more free minutes than you ever use. If you go with a smaller plan they just charge you more for data and you can end up paying even more. Then there are the free upgrades you are eligible for. Translation: sign here and we've got you locked in for 2 more years.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

If you don't like cellphones and don't text why take the plunge? Sit in a chair and watch your bees, and keep a simple cheap phone and plan. .
    I need a smart phone for business because everybody wants to email these days. My daughters communicate with texts.
    I was with Nextel and had a Blackberry with Direct Connect, but Sprint is closing down Nextel so I tried a Motorola Admiral with Direct connect. It was a poor phone so I went with a Samsung Galaxy III with no Direct Connect. It will wash the dishes and launder my underwear but is a slow learning curve to learn all of that. Some say it is the Android competition to Iphone. We pay $250+ a month for two smartphones and three phones on Sprint's unlimited family data plan. But as has been said, cellphone carriers are the rapists of the business world along with Comcast cable, ATT and the oil companies. I might soon add Google to this list. So wear three underwears, a padlocked chain for your belt, and don't turn your back or bend over at the cellphone store. The business reps at Sprint are some of the biggest liars I have dealt with in my 40+ years in business.

Not the biggest fan of iPhone. The technology and quality is great, but the prices are insanely high. I use a Straight Talk No-Contract Android. $45/month Unlimited Text, Talk, & Internet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK_SZEGy8Dg While you can use any smartphone you can find that will take an AT&T SIM, you can pick up the Samsung Galaxy on eBay for about $100.

I have an LG Optimus IV phone with the Android operating system through Virgin Mobile. I pay $25 per month and get 300 anytime minutes and unlimited text and data. No contract. Service is good where I live and fine just about everywhere I visit, even my parents' house in the mountains of Central PA. Virgin mobile piggybacks on the Sprint network. I think the starting rate for my plan is more like $30 per month now (I got grandfathered in). You pay for the phone up-front, but don't get screwed on a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I am a Mac guy
    I just knew it!
    Regards, Barry

Disclaimer: I dont like Iphone but, do like Android.

That in itself will cause a stirr. But, while we calm the Jobs fans. Iphone is a marketed platform which you pay for everything you get. Things work (except the new nav) but, they are heavily controlled by apple which gives your App's stability. Android while you do pay for things (its not free) but, there are way more free things due to its lack of control. You can almost make a government to fee economy comparison (but lets not). So pay more get more stability iphone5, Pay less, get more free then one of the others. Here is a good link to them. http://reviews.cnet.com/best-cell-phones/

Now as far as bee keeping goes there are apps for both. Not so good of programs but, that is a whole other thread. If I got any ipeople upset then sorry. hate them ithings.

Also a little mention about contracts. All carriers have contracts. That is a way of discounting the phone with what we term as bundling. What ever you sign into is what you have for ever. Unless you upgrade then they can change the terms. That is a whole other thread also. Sorry the phone is only a small piece of this whole argument.

Dont pay for more then you need. The technology will be different next week.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-08-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: lack of civility

The bigger ? Is what do you plan to do with it.
    In my case I almost never get on my main computer
    Anymore.
    David
    My-smokepole
    http://www.davidspaintingandwallpapering.com"

IPhone folks: Get the free app called "transfer" it is a simple way to move pics between Apple devices via Bluetooth. So easy even an old beekeeper can do it.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Cool Re: Smart Phone Questions

iPhone with verizon here. iMac and iPad for business, and now I use the iPhone with my square anywhere for doing credit cards business. Sales have increased about 18% being able to swipe cards anywhere, anytime. I hate paying the crazy cost of it, but sometimes thats the price of doing business.

I use a Casio GZ one Commando. Im really rough on stuff and thats why I did not buy an Iphone. My wife loves her Iphone but I need something water proof that I can drop on the ground or in a brook/mud puddle and pick it up to either take a call or answer emails.

Its funny how alot of full time beeks dont use tech as much as hobbyist. Come time of the year to sell NUCs I rely on my smart phone. Not just for emails and such but also for instant GPS functions when my stuff breaks and Im hours from home. I found verizon has hands down the best service.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    iPhone with verizon here. iMac and iPad for business, and now I use the iPhone with my square anywhere for doing credit cards business.
    I have considered picking up something similar for my droid as I thought it would be handy to have. My wife isnt convinced. Aren't these addons free and just cost the service while using it?

Page Plus is a pre-paid service that uses Verizon towers. I use the Droid X smartphone with the 29.95 per mo plan.
    It has wifi, bluetooth and you can down load about any app you like.
    I also use square for credit cards from my phone and don't know how many honey sales I have made at the farmers market because of it.
    Here are some of the Page Plus plans
    1200talk/3000text/250mg data per mo 29.95
    UNLMT talk&text/ 250mg data per mo 39.95
    UNLMT talk&text/ 2000mg data per mo 55.00
    For me can't beat it for the price and service.

Square is free for device and no monthly charge.
    2.75% per dollar amount so I add 3% to all card transactions to cover it.

Get Voxer, have it on my new iPHONe it's like direct connect and it can text too.

For the operating system, if there's not a habit/trap/compatibility issue forcing you to use something else, in my opinion, Android would be the best choice. It has almost all the advantages of Free and Open Software: You can find more than you need amount of applications without the necessity to pay, you can benefit from the huge community support, you have the chance to update or upgrade your applications and most probably the base operating system in the future without much trouble. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    I hate carrying a cellphone, and I have never texted. I am reluctantly thinking that at some point I need to take the plunge and get a smart phone with a data plan. Are there any tech savy beekeepers out there who have any advice about what phone/plans I should get. If I'm going to do this, I'd like a good phone with a decent plan for a decent price. I'm all ears.
    I am in a pretty similar situation as you. I am not very interested in having a smart phone, but I feel like I need to get with the times and get one. I have had a flip phone that works well for making calls, but it cannot access the internet like smartphones do. I have begun to look into different types of smartphones and plans, but I am confused with all of the options available and not sure how much data I should get with the plan. What did you end up going with? Do you have any suggestions for phones and plans for a first time smart phone buyer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast