Hybrid View

Exclamation Mite count? Using Mite Away quick strips - need advice

Hi...I am posting here because not enough viewers are in the Pest and Treatment forum, and I really need some advice!

About two weeks ago, I saw a few bees in front of my two hives with 'K' wings. They also seemed unable to fly. My first perception was tracheal mites. Someone said it could likely be due to Varroa, and that I should treat with Mite Away Quick Strips. I jumped on the bandwagon without first researching, and bought the chemical.

After reading how to use this chemical, I am aware now that there is a mortality rate of bees that can occur with the use of this kind of treatment. The info states that when it is used, the hive must have 6 frames of bees or it could kill the entire hive. "Brood mortality may occur in the initial stage of treatment. Overall colony health is not expected to be affected, with brood rearing returning to normal by the end of treatment."

Is early October in San Diego, CA too late? Would I have enough brood rearing after treatment? Could I destroy my hives? These hives are at least one full 10 frame deep with the second deep at least half full or more of honey.

Am I making a wrong choice to treat with this chemical?

After using grease patties and 'med dose level' of Pro Health in 2:1 (sugar to water) syrup for at least 1-2 weeks, I have not seen anymore 'k' winged bees or ones struggling to fly.

Was my diagnoses likely correct? Should I use a Varroa mite count sticky board first to even see if I have a problem? I don't want to use this chemical and lose my whole hive. Anyone experienced with the MAQS?

Thanks!

Lori
    Last edited by TheRatLover; 10-07-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Default Re: Mite count? Using Mite Away quick strips - need advice

Hi Lori,
    In San Diego I don't think the weather ever gets cold enough to stop brood rearing, Lack of nectar might make a slow down in brood. Even though the quick strips can't legally advertise its effectiveness against tracheal mites I think it works for them as well as varroa. They can't advertise it because the product wasn't approved for that use. So you shouldn't need the grease patties.

I don't have first hand experience with the product, but if I was going to use an approved mite product it would be the quick strips or hopguard.
    Dan

whats your mite counts?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    whats your mite counts?
    I have not even checked. I have screened bottom boards. I bought one sticky board, but I don't know how to asses a count. Should I do this first before treating? Do I check after the board is placed for 24 hours or 3 days? There is lots of differing info out there...

Quote Originally Posted by TheRatLover View Post
    I have not even checked. I have screened bottom boards. I bought one sticky board, but I don't know how to asses a count. Should I do this first before treating? Do I check after the board is placed for 24 hours or 3 days? There is lots of differing info out there...
    Check out the sampling power point -https://agdev.anr.udel.edu/maarec/educational-resources/powerpoints/

I take a small sample of the bees, 200 or so, and drop them into a alcohol. shake them up , screen out the bees, and count the mites. My treatment threshold is around 4-5% this time of year
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com