Default How many treat overwintering nucs for mites ?

I recall a talk given by Michael Palmer several years ago and he mentioned not treating. Back then, he was using single split deeps.

Things have changed, and more people are starting nucs earlier and overwintering in split double deeps.

So, how many are treating for mites today? What are people using?

Default Re: How many treat overwintering nucs for mites ?

I'm overwintering 18 nucs this year and treated using half-dose of API Life VAR, 3 treatments 7-10 days apart with no problems. Overwintering in deep/deep and deep/medium nucs.

I just hit mine once or twice with powdered sugar than leave them on their own. With the nucs I'm only interested in the strong surviving ones for spring use. Wouldn't want to start a hive with one I had to baby along.
    Dan

I too have 18 nucs ( if u can call 4, 5 frame boxes nucs). I fogged them for the 2nd time today. not sure they needed it as I don't do counts, just doin the yards & figured it couldn't hurt.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

18 must be a magic number - I also have 18. I have not treated for mites. They are mainly in three groupings made early, mid-season, and later (July). I am curious to see if there are differences in their survival rates. The die is cast, the 6 month waiting game begins...

17 I think. In the past I never treated nucs. One season I lost several= results from Beltsville and eye on remaining brood was clear- PMS so I fugured better keep an eye on them and consider the mother colony as well. This year was a strange one- whopping mite loads coming out of winter. Mite loads even in post swarm hives. I made most OW nucs in late June/Early July. I treated nucs this year unless I had treated the Mother colony before making them up to get the load down. Nucs that got queen cells though had some brood break which made a significant difference in mite loads and need for tx. Small doses of Apiguard worked wonders.
    karla

5 or 6, do not treat. All are from swarms so figure they had a brood break to assist with mites.

I don't, of course...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have 6. Made them up late July and I am not treating them at all. They're not showing mite loads at this point anyway.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    I'm only interested in the strong surviving ones for spring use. Wouldn't want to start a hive with one I had to baby along.
    A very wise statement.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Almost 700 nucs going into winter here, with various configurations. I don't treat my nucs before winter. As Karla said, it is possible to have nucs crash from mite issues. You can't make nucs with varroa compromised brood and not expect problems.