Default wiring foundationless

I have decided to try foundation less narrow frames and will migrate to them over time. For those of you using these do you wire them or just leave them hanging so to speak ?

Default Re: wiring foundationless

I am using the standard width WTKelley foundationless as deeps with no with no problems or wires. However I do not plan on ever putting them in an extractor and will probably recycle the comb every 3-5 years. I have assembled med. supers too but will not use them until the spring flow.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Mediums extract just fine w/o wire. Extracted ~50 frames this summer in a friend's really nice Maxant. Only one frame had any blow out and it was only about 1/4 of the comb in that frame.

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    Mediums extract just fine w/o wire. Extracted ~50 frames this summer in a friend's really nice Maxant. Only one frame had any blow out and it was only about 1/4 of the comb in that frame.
    Now that is good news! The girls can repair the rest, assuming you finished extracting it, or crush & extract the balance in a cappings bag...
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Wire them just like standard foundation if you wish. The wire will help keep the comb flat, although foundationless when drawn in the frame properly (and not all over the hive) does not suffer from the curvature of wired foundation.

I wire mine because they then become immune to having the comb fall out if I bang them, which I do too much being clumbsy.

Peter

Hi.

I do not wire medium frames and extract them just fine. I think this year only one broke so far.

I also do not wire brood standard frames. I sometimes did (either 3 parallel lines or 2 diagonals, etc. Bees integrate them in the wax with no problem...

Quote Originally Posted by mushmushi View Post
    Hi.

I do not wire medium frames and extract them just fine. I think this year only one broke so far.

I also do not wire brood standard frames. I sometimes did (either 3 parallel lines or 2 diagonals, etc. Bees integrate them in the wax with no problem...
    I thought about using 20 lb. mono-filament fishing line on my deeps like FBM (Fat Bee Man), but have not yet done any.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I never used to wire foundationless frames, but I started have them break out (when heavy with honey) during inspections if I wasn't careful. I now wire frames using fishing line like Don Kuchenmeister (the FBM). One of the reasons fishing line is nice is that you can cut through it if need be.

I have made some from some wired frames that had foundation so will make some without and be able to compare the results. would rather not wire if not needed since it is extra work. Also looking at planing the top bars to make sure they have room to get past the bars.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm#dowire

You can wire them if you like. I don't.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I dont wire and have only lost one comb. While doing your inspection and it is hot out, just pay attention on whether or not they have connected the comb to the bottom of the frames. If they havent be carfully how you turn the frame around, otherwise it could end up on your feet. If it is attached to the bottom, if only by a couple of inches, then it is pretty solid. I crush and strain, I do not use a extractor.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks