Default TBH and oxalic acid

Anyone pushed oxalic acid fumes into a TBH? From the top or from the bottom?

Ahh - I see folks inserting electrical vaporizers into Lang entrances, so the fumes must rise. That plus some YouTube illustrations seem to indicate I can drill a 3/4" hole in my bottom board, mount a flange externally, screw in a 4" length of capped pipe and use that as a vaporizer chamber, heating with a propane torch. remove roof of hive and watch for vapors to start and to end. think I'll position this under the general area of the brood.
    Last edited by mhorowit; 10-07-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Default Re: TBH and oxalic acid

Im sorry for not having the answer but am interested in why do you feel you must use treatments? Are the bees showing symptoms?
    Thank you

Hive is showing signs of Deformed Wing Virus.
    Apparently (don't take my word as sole source), DWV is around all the time and is only apparent if the hive is weak.
    Varroa is either a vector, or serves to weaken the bee so that DWV can gain a foot hold.
    I'm going to sample for Varroa, and if high, current plan is to treat with vaporized oxalic acid - Mike

I saw a thread where they set a small pan of acid on a hooka charcoal. I was able to use this method in my top bar by moving the follower board out a couple of bars and setting the charcoal and acid on the floor of the hive. I also used this method on two nucs and a ten frame hive. it has worked well three times so far and not so well twice. the coal went out on two of them without vaporizing the acid. will retreat those today.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.